Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just to be aware.

This morning on http://www.awe24.com/ there are two stories of fishermen catching a 3 meter Tiger Shark.
    http://www.awe24.com/?main&id=2944&offI ... ate=2010-3

From Wikpedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_shark

The tiger shark, Galeocerdo cuvier is a species of requiem shark and the only member of the genus Galeocerdo. Mature sharks average 3.25 to 4.25 metres (10.7 to 13.9 ft) long[3][4] and weigh 385 to 635 kilograms (850 to 1,400 lb).[3] It can attain a length of over 5 metres (16 ft)[1] and a weight of 1,110 kilograms (2,400 lb) at maximum. It is found in many tropical and temperate oceans, and is especially common around central Pacific islands. This shark is a solitary, mostly night-time hunter. Its name derives from the dark stripes down its body, which fade as the shark matures.

The tiger shark is a predator, known for eating a wide range of animals. Its usual diet consists of fish, seals, birds, smaller sharks, squid, turtles, and dolphins. Tigers have been found with man-made waste such as license plates or pieces of old tires in their digestive tracts, thus the moniker, "the wastebasket of the sea".

This shark may be easily identified by its dark stripes which resemble a tiger's pattern. Its dorsal fins are distinctively close to its tail. They may encounter humans because they often visit shallow reefs, harbours and canals.

Second only to the great white shark in number of recorded attacks on humans,[5][6] the tiger is considered to be one of the sharks most dangerous to humans, along with the great white shark, bull shark and the oceanic whitetip shark.[7]I am not sure if or where to post this.

This morning on http://www.awe24.com/ there are two stories of fishermen catching a 3 meter Tiger Shark.
    http://www.awe24.com/?main&id=2944&offI ... ate=2010-3

From Wikpedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_shark

The tiger shark, Galeocerdo cuvier is a species of requiem shark and the only member of the genus Galeocerdo. Mature sharks average 3.25 to 4.25 metres (10.7 to 13.9 ft) long[3][4] and weigh 385 to 635 kilograms (850 to 1,400 lb).[3] It can attain a length of over 5 metres (16 ft)[1] and a weight of 1,110 kilograms (2,400 lb) at maximum. It is found in many tropical and temperate oceans, and is especially common around central Pacific islands. This shark is a solitary, mostly night-time hunter. Its name derives from the dark stripes down its body, which fade as the shark matures.

The tiger shark is a predator, known for eating a wide range of animals. Its usual diet consists of fish, seals, birds, smaller sharks, squid, turtles, and dolphins. Tigers have been found with man-made waste such as license plates or pieces of old tires in their digestive tracts, thus the moniker, "the wastebasket of the sea".

This shark may be easily identified by its dark stripes which resemble a tiger's pattern. Its dorsal fins are distinctively close to its tail. They may encounter humans because they often visit shallow reefs, harbours and canals.

Second only to the great white shark in number of recorded attacks on humans,[5][6] the tiger is considered to be one of the sharks most dangerous to humans, along with the great white shark, bull shark and the oceanic whitetip shark.[7]
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Aruba since 1979
    does the article say how far out they were?

Eagle Beach Iguana Joes Palm Beach Alto Vista Chapel Baby Beach Passions

Shark?

Hi, Did your comment refer to the presence of a Tiger Shark on Eagle Beach?

Three feet looks even bigger than it sounds. The second link has pictures of the shark.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    Three feet looks even bigger than it sounds. The second link has pictures of the shark.
    3 Meters is roughly 9-10 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    3 Meters is roughly 9-10 feet.
    Boy, did I read that wrong. No wonder it looked so big...It was!!
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

The fishing boats fish by the lighthouse where the water starts getting rough
    and on the other side of the island.

Never heard of any shark attack my 5 years here.

They catch them a lot - saw a big one about 2 weeks ago when
    at starbucks.

Oh my--any in the Palm Beach area? Now I will only go in enough just to cover my feet. That movie Jaws just keep going over and over in my mind.

Aw....now that is 2 times in the past couple of weeks I have heard about tiger sharks...when we came back from Barbados and I told my cousin about swimming with the turtles he said that tiger sharks are usually around turtles because that is one of their main food sources...glad I did not know that before or I never would have gone into the water...now I hear they were spotted/caught in Aruba waters.....jeesh !!! What next ???
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Love Aruba View Post
    Oh my--any in the Palm Beach area? Now I will only go in enough just to cover my feet. That movie Jaws just keep going over and over in my mind.
    Hi Love Aruba:

Well, I think I am a "Chartered Member" of the "Saw Jaws; and scared to death of sharks." club. O.K., in the movie, it was a mechanical shark; but in the water they are not mechanical, rather real.

I will just have to overcome my fear; and continue to feel safe on Palm Beach.

I also think, being as old as I am, I would probably be just too old and tough for any shark to digest.

Ed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast