Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Laptop left in room?

I am not a very seasoned traveller, so if this question sounds like I think everyone is a thief I don't intend it to be that way.

I am considering taking my Lap Top with us on our honeymoon at the Bucuti. I have never travelled with it before and don't know if I would be worried leaving it in the room while we are gone all day. Is it common practice for people to leave them in the room, because I'm assuming they are too big for a safe. This is not because I fear the cleaning people in Aruba, I'd question this in any city.

Thank you

My husband usually brings his along and even though it fits in the safe at the hotel we stay at, he usually leaves it on the dining room table and uses a cable lock. It fits in one side of the laptop and then he threads it through the back of the chair - so if they wanted to take the laptop, they'd have to take the chair, too!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

My daughter has brought hers a few times and she leaves it on the kitchen counter. She did not have a lock (I think she was wishing for a new one). We never had any problems.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    DO NOT leave your laptop in your room without a lock. Many housekeepers (don't know about Bucuti's housekeepers) while cleaning rooms, leave the room unlocked while they go get supplies. Last week I bought a very expensive laptop for my daughter and SIL. Even though I had lojack installed, I don't think it would every be recovered in Aruba. Don't take a change - get a lock. They are not expensive. BTW my laptop was stollen in Aruba in December.

I've taken my work laptop the past five or six trips and leave it out. Unfortunately, it has never been stolen.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    I've taken my work laptop the past five or six trips and leave it out. Unfortunately, it has never been stolen.

My husband says the same thing! We've always brought one of the laptops with us and have never had a problem.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    i sometimes bring mine.
    have yet to have an issue.

this january, i am going to bring the small netbook that will fit in lacabana's safe ( i think)

but it is small and if it does not fit in the safe, it will fit into the lockable pouch that i can attach to my poolside palaypa umbrella. if someone wants to steal it, they will have to work hard with big wire cutter/clipper things and all sitting in the area will be watching or they could try removing the umbrella from its stand and steal the umbrella as well.

i am not worried about mine due to its size.

for all of you that stay in resorts and timeshares
    as liz mentioned............when the housekeeper is in your room cleaning, sometimes the housekeeper leaves the door ajar. any joe schmo can sneak in,make a swipe and sneak out.
    andrea

If you bring your laptop with you make sure you don't leave ANY valuable info or passwords on your hard disk and empty your cache after each connection.

I leave mine in my bag and always use luggage locks when I'm out of the room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast