Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Laptop safety?

Laptop safety?

Hi There Fellow Aruba Lovers!

I have been on this site for years and just signed up to start posting today. Love Aruba. My husband and I leave this week for our 5th trip and we can't wait. This year we are staying at the Aruba Beach Club (first time staying there) - we are renting someone's timeshare and got an amazing deal. Question (and hope I am posting this in the right section) --- we were thinking of taking our laptop (I know, I know it's a vacation - why bring it? but I have a family member just getting over an illness and instead of calling every few days to check up on her, figured email would be cheaper!) -- anyways -- would you think it's safe to bring a laptop - meaning when we leave our room for the day/night - would hiding it be safe enough? I just don't want anyone to walk off w/it. I have NEVER had a trouble when staying in Aruba but never brought a laptop before. Thank you!

Aruba since 1979
    honestly, if you are just going to be checking email a couple of times a day, i would skip the laptop and just go online at ABCs internet spot.

but, if you like many of us really need the puter..........bring it along.

one can hide it in the unit
    we always put ours in a locked suitcase and keep it there when not using it.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba2009 View Post

I have been on this site for years and just signed up to start posting today. Love Aruba. My husband and I leave this week for our 5th trip and we can't wait. This year we are staying at the Aruba Beach Club (first time staying there) - we are renting someone's timeshare and got an amazing deal. Question (and hope I am posting this in the right section) --- we were thinking of taking our laptop (I know, I know it's a vacation - why bring it? but I have a family member just getting over an illness and instead of calling every few days to check up on her, figured email would be cheaper!) -- anyways -- would you think it's safe to bring a laptop - meaning when we leave our room for the day/night - would hiding it be safe enough? I just don't want anyone to walk off w/it. I have NEVER had a trouble when staying in Aruba but never brought a laptop before. Thank you!

If you're going to be traveling with your computer in the future, you might want to consider buying a cable lock for your laptop. You can get one for around $15 to $20.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba2009 View Post

I have a family member just getting over an illness and instead of calling every few days to check up on her, figured email would be cheaper!) -- Thank you!
    Read another thread on this board re "SKYPE". It is free to talk computer to computer. All you will need is head sets.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/useskype/
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Beach Boy View Post
    Read another thread on this board re "SKYPE".
    Skype Wi-Fi Phone

We've been staying at Casa Del Mar and Aruba Beach Club for a long time and have had no problems with our laptop. Like anything else, just hide it when you're not in the room. The cable lock is a good idea. Alternatively there is a computer room downstairs and also across the street, at the alhambra shops, there is a phone/computer place that you can use computers for a couple of dollars for like 10 minutes, from 3pm-11 I think.