Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

laptop security???

Just wondering what those of you who bring laptops with you do with them when you are not in the room? I would think it would not fit in the safe. Do you use a laptop lock? My wife is concerned about leaving it in the room while we are out if she brings it.

Thanks

Jon
    Jon

Next Aruba trip in

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Don't take a chance with your valuable laptop. Locks are not expensive.

Laptop security

Firstly, let me say i have no business relationship with the product/firm I will mention.

For those with laptops, you may want to check out a product from a firm called Computrace. In the event your laptop is stolen, it will report its location to a central monitoring center when it is next connected to the Internet. I am aware of several situations where the laptops that were stolen have been recovered.

The following link will provide some info: www.lojackforlaptops.com

An interesting product. Again, I have no association with them, just sharing info

We have never had a problem with our laptop at either the Radisson or Tamarijn (or cruises for that matter). When leaving the room we do make sure it is out of sight.

Never had a problem, but try not to use in the open where it can be seen. Very hard to see in the bright sun anyway. Found that it fit in the safe at Divi Dutch, but will not fit in most safes. We usually put in suitcase, lock suitcase and put in closet with another suitcase on top. Not really secure, but at least it will take a little effort to find and open suitcase.

May not be much concilation if lost, but probably covered under your homeowners insurance. Of course cannot replace data.

They don't have a GPS interface for cars in Aruba (that I know of)
    Wonder if they had the equipment to trace the laptop here w/ the lojack stuff? I don't think they even have that for cars here.

Lizzardo, I was thing the same thing. I know that my handheld GPS works in Aruba. After much searching I was able to download a GPS map of Aruba. It worked great in November. BUT, not sure Aruba has the lojack equipment to track laptops. Even if they did it only works when the laptop is signed in online. All the thief would have to do is wait a week or two before signing in. By that time you are home.

This may sound crazy, but we put our laptop in one of our suitcases and lock it when we leave our timeshare and have never had our luggage stolen.

Aruba since 1979
    we bury ours under "dirty laundry"

ahhh the things we have to do.

wouldn't you think that the places that have had recent renovations would have had larger safes put in the units?

andrea

Last night at Casa Del Mar, our friend's room was broken into(first floor) Two laptops and an I-Pod were taken. They were left out where they were in plain sight.

As a precaution, laptops should be put away when you are at the beach or (as my friends were) out for dinner. By the way, Casa Del Mar to their credit, is all over this incident.