Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vallond

Thread: Learning Papiamento

Learning Papiamento

Hi everyone

I'm coming to Aruba soon again for a longer period of time and I would like to learn Papiamento. Since I already speak spanish I hope it's not too hard to learn for me Is there any recommended school I could go to?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hey Nadine,
    Bon Dia( Good Morning) and greetings. I'm not too certain if there are any language schools on Aruba that teach Papiamento, it's a really good idea for there to be one as it would allow for learning while being immersed in the culture. The best I could recommend the following links.

I'm currently using Unilang right now in my quest to learn Papiamento. Hope that they help. Take care!!

Aruba since 1979
    Welcome Nadine

the 1st link that Vallond posted is imo the best out there!!

Hi Nadine! Welcome to the Community Forum

Let us know what you wind up using!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Thank you guys! Too bad, there really doesn't seem to be any language school for Papiamento on the island, but t will check out the links
    @Jacki: I will for sure!

Thank you guys again

Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Hi Nadine!

Another option could be to check out the local online newspapers to get a feel for the language as you already speak Spanish. Pamiamento is a mixture of Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, English and French.

Said that, I also noticed that you will encounter a local who will switch languages at the drop of a hat! LOL He might speak English with you, then gets a phone call and speaks in Papiamento, sees a friend on the street and exchanges a few words in Dutch (the official language in Aruba) with him.

A great way to actually learn a language is to have friends you can practice it every day. As you will stay for a while in Aruba, I'm sure you will be able to learn a lot and enjoy it to the fullest!