Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Off

Hi all,
    Just returned from 2 weeks at the Tamarijn (first visit) and the mosquito repellant we brought from UK was useless. Bought OFF locally and faired much better. So a word of advice for travllers from UK, don't take Boots own brand repellant. It doesn't seem to work on Aruba but I'm sure it is very effective elsewhere (added the last bit for legal reasons)
    Will do a trip report in the fullness of time but right now I need to catch up on some much needed sleep.
    Pete.

Welcome home Pete. We will look forward to your comments.

Does "Boots" contain DEET?

Deet seems to be the ingredient in "OFF" which makes it effective.

http://www.off.com/deet/

Deet

Lisa,
    Remarkable as it may seem, the Boots product we were using contained 50% Deet whereas the more succesful OFF was only 15 or 20% from memory.
    Must be a particular combination of chemicals/aromas in the OFF that makes it particularly effective. Saying that we did use a lot of it and at $10 a can in hotel shop it proved a costly necessity.
    Pete.

I'm here right now and had our house sprayed yesterday...seems to have helped. We keep the bug spray in the car..they little buggers are really going at it. If anyone is bringing their dogs over make sure they have their heartworm and flea/tick treatments up to date. I am pulling ticks off of my dog every day even though I am trying to keep her out of the grasses etc.

Bug Spray Question

Hello all,

Many have indicated that the mosquitos have been particularly bad given the unusual amount of rain on the island recently. Is it "Deepwoods OFF" that people would recommend as the best repellent to bring? Your thoughts are appreciated.
    See you in Aruba!!!
    Next Aruba trip in

Off

Dave,
    We used OFF Active (The one in the orange can) and found it to be very effective. Approx $7 in the shops.
    Have only visited once (Oct 15th - 29th) so there will be many people out there with more informed opinions than me. In fact the general opinion of most posters on this site is that they've never been bothered by mosquitoes. I was though and OFF Active was excellent.
    Pete.

Jax
    I will second Pete on this. Last year I never got a bite and never sprayed--this year though I paid attention to the feedback on the forum and brought it. THANK GOODNESS!! We took both but liked using the OFF Active better due to the smell. It was MUCH better than the the stench of the Deep woods. For effectiveness, we got much better coverage (and therefor less bites) with the continuous spray can rather than the pump. We went through a few containers of spray for 4 of us in 10 days. Don't forget to spray the feet including the toes and the sides! The bites that we got on the toes, ankles and arches of our feet were harder to deal with than the others. Have fun!!

playa linda, aruba beach club, wacky wahoos, driftwood,french steakhouse, any happy hour
    I leave for Aruba tomorrow(28th) for 3 weeks. Are the bugs still a problem? I've been to Aruba about 20X and never saw a bug.

Aruba since 1979
    paul....yes.
    the rains of sept/oct/nov have caused the mosquito population to be (for better choice of words) "problematic".
    bring bug spray.
    happy and safe travels.

I guess it depends on where you will be. I just got back on Wednesday, I had bug spray with me but didn't use it once and didn't have any problems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast