Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: the LIONFISH must die!

Aruba since 1979

the LIONFISH must die!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pd_jGBZpz0

the man in this video, (from the reef care foundation) sent this to me.

it of course is in papiamento, but one does not need to understand the words.

the lionfish is a nuisance and is not welcome in aruban waters.

killing the lionfish is the only method of population control/elimination.

enjoy the video, the water clarity is awesome and very pretty fish.

be forewarned, there are numerous "spearings" of lionfish.

Yes, the lion fish is a problem.

Kent and Stuart have been assassinating the lion fish every time they go out. I've seen the video to prove it. Keep up the good work, guys!

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Great video.They seems to be more and more.The only way to get rid of them is to kill them.They say they are good eatting fish,but you need to know how to handle and clean.
    Last edited by DANNYO; 10-12-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    woooow...interesting fish...
    Where did they come from ?
    anyone have them to eat before?

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    Andrea,

Awesome video. Thanks for sharing it.

Are the lionfish winning or losing the battle, in general?

Baby Beach and the Marriott Ocean Club smokey joes and happy hour by the beach
    great video keep up the good work

Aruba since 1979
    i do not know who is winning/losing the lionfish war.

those that are actively hunting and killing........KUDOS to them.

i will have to go back to earlier lionfish threads to find out how they made their way to the caribbean.

hopefully kent will explain. he and his friend stuart have killed many.

Smile

Just for your info, the lion fish started at the Bahamas and now they are all over the Carribean. They kill fish and coral and nothing kills them except hunters. They are very poisonous. I got stung by one last winter and went to the ER. They say if one stings you good enough, they could kill you. Stuart and I are now hunting the lionfish to help get rid of them. I was there last July for 5 weeks and Stuart and I killed over 200 lionfish. We also eat them. You have to be very carfull when you clean them because when I was stung by one, it was a dead one and I still had to go to the ER. We are very carefull now and we fillet them and we have eaten them fried, and the best way is savechee. Thats when its raw but you but lemon and lime juice on it for 24 hours and the acid like cooks it enough to be very tastee. I am heading to Aruba in 3 weeks and I hope the lionfish population really takes a hit because I will be there for 5 months and we will be looking for these guys DAILEY!!!!! Hopefully we can get some good pics and maybe make a few videos to share with the board. Kent
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Aruba since 1979
    thanks kent!
    i remember that you had told me of your lionfish sting and how awful it was.
    thank you for all of your "killings"
    Quote Originally Posted by kent View Post
    Just for your info, the lion fish started at the Bahamas and now they are all over the Carribean. They kill fish and coral and nothing kills them except hunters. They are very poisonous. I got stung by one last winter and went to the ER. They say if one stings you good enough, they could kill you. Stuart and I are now hunting the lionfish to help get rid of them. I was there last July for 5 weeks and Stuart and I killed over 200 lionfish. We also eat them. You have to be very carfull when you clean them because when I was stung by one, it was a dead one and I still had to go to the ER. We are very carefull now and we fillet them and we have eaten them fried, and the best way is savechee. Thats when its raw but you but lemon and lime juice on it for 24 hours and the acid like cooks it enough to be very tastee. I am heading to Aruba in 3 weeks and I hope the lionfish population really takes a hit because I will be there for 5 months and we will be looking for these guys DAILEY!!!!! Hopefully we can get some good pics and maybe make a few videos to share with the board. Kent

A popular theory is that Hurrican Andrew released some from an aquarium in an oceanfront home in Florida and they have spread across the Caribbean from there. I don't know if that is true, or even possible, but I have heard it mentioned a number of times from fairly reputable sources.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast