Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: the LIONFISH must die!

Aruba since 1979
    2 different people private messaged me a similar theory today.

both unsure of the accuracy, but posed a thought nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    A popular theory is that Hurrican Andrew released some from an aquarium in an oceanfront home in Florida and they have spread across the Caribbean from there. I don't know if that is true, or even possible, but I have heard it mentioned a number of times from fairly reputable sources.

Spear fishing for them - is it legal?

Perhaps Kent can answer? I thought we were told that spear fishing was illegal in Aruba. Is there an exception for the lion fish? My husband enjoys spear fishing and would love to go on a "hunt" while we are on the island. So my question is - is spear fishing legal for these lionfish? Am I misinformed? Is there a guide that would take my husband out - he does have experience spearing flounder in the Chesapeake Bay.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    from my friend, an aruba resident....... (her employment has regulations disallowing her from posting on social media internet sites)

here is what she wrote........ "I saw the post about lion fish. They are a major problem but we do have a dedicated group who are Aruba Underwater Hunters. The government conceded that lionfish are a hazard, and though spear fishing is illegal, divers can go to Hadicarari and sign up with Castro Perez for a lion fish hunting permit. There are special spears that they use and something called a zookeeper that they put the speared fish in until they surface.
    I have several friends who fish for them and they all agree it tastes like lobster, just softer. I hope to try it soon. Aruba Underwater Hunters also have a Facebook page, I will look for the link for you."

here is the facebook link https://www.facebook.com/ArubaUnderW...rsAuwh?fref=ts
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 10-13-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Wow, that video was amazing. Makes me wish we were in Aruba right now. I hope they can keep the lionfish population somewhat under control. The reefs have suffered enough damage, with the tourism, hurricanes, and the rising sea temperatures. A major part of our Aruba trips have been to pack a lunch and head to Boca Catilina for a day of relaxing and snorkeling. I would hate to see the beauty of that underwater world disappear. We've only been to Aruba for the last 7 years, so we did not snorkel that area when it was pristine. I am sure some of you on this board have, and you must be disappointed with it's present state. But it is still very special to my wife and I. We even saw some small new coral growth this year. Unfortunately it grows very slowly. On our next trip we plan on hooking up with Kent Gerber and using his bladefish to pull us through the water on his snorkeling tour at Mangel Halto. We have have heard nothing but good about his tour. Just curious, has anyone seen any lionfish at Boca Catlina?

We were diving in Bonaire 2 years ago and the lionfish population there was enormous..the authorities allowed catching the fish but asked they be brought in and cataloged...then they were given back if the person wanted it... A friend of one of our dive group lives on the island and said they are delicious, you just have to know how to filet (sp?) them...
    It is a shame they have no natural enemies to control their rapid growth but I thought I read somewhere that there is a fish that has been going after them without dying from the poison in the quills I just don't remember which one it is....shark maybe ????
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Smile

Just a few months ago, the made it legal to just spear the lionfish. So no spear guns. Just the pole spears for the lionfish. We see the locals out during the days with them so you are fine with the lionfish pole spear. Really be carfull because you can't believe the throbbing and the pain if you get stuck by just 1 point and they have alot of stickers on them.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Aruba since 1979
    http://aruba-daily.com/newspaper/?p=26346

check out the LIONFISH on the menu at Old Man and the Sea

Smile

Cool!! I have tried lionfish many different ways and it is very good.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

It looks tasty in the video after they fried them up. Who knows maybe next year when I go to aruba I will see lion fish on the menu of a lot of restaurants. Looks like a good opportunity for someone to make money...

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    The Old Man and the Sea is having a special lionfish menu this weekend, with a talk on lionfish. You can check it out on their facebook page. I tried to copy it to here, but was unsuccessful.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast