Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By CK1
  • 2 Post By PJAM
  • 2 Post By EdandLiz

Thread: Looking for advise regarding the Carnival Lightning Parade on Jan 30

Looking for advise regarding the Carnival Lightning Parade on Jan 30

I made dinner reservations at Pinchos Grill & Bar for Sat January 30 at 5:30.

I received an email from Pinchos saying, "Be aware that on this day we will have the Carnival Lighting Parade passing by in front of us. To be able to get to us won't be a problem but it will be difficult once you leave the restaurant. The streets will be closed after 7pm on this day. We won't be able to call you a cab. Please be aware of this.

I am trying to determine if the Saturday is the only night for the parade. If that is the case I can just make reservation for a different night.
    Not knowing the Island very well, I was wondering if the parade will also effect El Gaucho that night too?

Am I better off not going anywhere near that area for dinner that night? I am renting a car and don't want to get lost following detours. Thanks, in advance for you help with my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by PJAM View Post

I received an email from Pinchos saying, "Be aware that on this day we will have the Carnival Lighting Parade passing by in front of us. To be able to get to us won't be a problem but it will be difficult once you leave the restaurant. The streets will be closed after 7pm on this day. We won't be able to call you a cab. Please be aware of this.

I am trying to determine if the Saturday is the only night for the parade. If that is the case I can just make reservation for a different night.
    Not knowing the Island very well, I was wondering if the parade will also effect El Gaucho that night too?

Am I better off not going anywhere near that area for dinner that night? I am renting a car and don't want to get lost following detours. Thanks, in advance for you help with my questions.
    my advice is book another night if you are unfamiliar with Oranjestad and the Island. Carnival is major and it is unpredictable when the parade will be over and people disburse. It is a lot of fun though to watch. Getting around will be a bit of a challenge

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    The Tivoli Grand Lighting Parade takes place on January 30, 2016 and is one of the most spectacular events during Carnival. It will start at about 8 p.m. (streets closed off at 7 p.m. as stated in your email) and it will last until approx. 2 a.m.

If you are interested in experiencing Carnival in Aruba, I would highly recommend this parade as it's in the evening when it's not so hot anymore.

There will be more parades in the following days, some in Oranjestad, some in San Nicolas. It's all over on Ash Wednesday, February 10.

The ROUTE of Tivoli Grand Lighting Parade: Starts at roundabout Wendy's - L. G. Smith Blvd. - Vondellaan - ends at Banco di Caribe

If you are not at all interested in the Carnival, I would recommend to avoid downtown Oranjestad. There will be thousands of tourists and locals watching this big event, parking will be difficult. I have been there in February 2009. From what I remember: Whole areas will be closed off, even where the people will be watching. It will be very crowded, people lining the streets where the parade will take place. Even the streets leading there, will be closed off. Which means when you are there, you will have to remain there. People are not allowed to walk in the streets, only on the sidewalk which will be very difficult as it gets very crowded.

But the event is spectacular, the costumes are illuminated with a thousand little lights, many different colors, many different costumes, lots of dancing and music. It will get loud.

Here is some info:

Carnival 2016

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Here is a lovely video of the Lighting Parade:

http://www.aruba.com/things-to-do/ar...ighting-parade

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum
    yes AVOID the downtown area on that evening, and too i would say that includes elgaucho

here is a link to the carnival schedule http://www.aruba.com/sites/default/f...013%202016.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PJAM View Post

Where are you staying? Definitely do not drive during the parade. There are alternatives to dining downtown if you're in the resort areas.

Welcome to the Aruba.com Community forum!

Great information already stated above. There are many other restaurants to check out that night and go to Pinchos another night
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post! We are staying in the Eagle Beach area. We are somewhat familiar with the island but our last visit was many years ago. We are older now and will be visiting several beaches, eating dinner out, making a trip to the grocery store and relaxing. Which is why we are renting a car. Thanks for the information, it will save us many headaches.

Arashi Beach, Baby Beach, San Nicholas, Oranjestad, Noord.. Basically the whole dang island!
    PJAM,

Great idea! We actually live here on Aruba and want to see the Light Parade, we LOVE it... so we actually book a night at the Renaissance so we get a great viewing point, AND we don't have to deal with all the craziness of the parade or 'after" the parade! It is truly spectacular, and if you get a chance to see it, I would recommend it, just plan accordingly!

Liz
    Ed and Liz Ginocchio Golden Reef Hospitality - Your Aruba Dream Mgmt. Rental Vacation Homes
    We manage your home just like it was our own! www.myarubadreamvilla.com