Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Maduro closing borders with ABC islands.

Aruba since 1979

This is truly unfortunate. Out of curiosity, might anyone have an idea on how this border closure is impacting the tourism within the islands? We are in Aruba in 3 weeks for 10 days, and I am wondering if now I should be reconsidering...

We are in Aruba now and everything seems fine. I'm in a condo, not a resort and so far have not had any issues getting anything I need at the grocery store-most comes in from the US. I do not know if the ban is keeping Venezuelans out of Aruba or not, but I can ask our property manage if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    We are in Aruba now and everything seems fine. I'm in a condo, not a resort and so far have not had any issues getting anything I need at the grocery store-most comes in from the US. I do not know if the ban is keeping Venezuelans out of Aruba or not, but I can ask our property manage if you'd like.
    Thanks for that... No need to check on whether or not the folks from Venezuela are making their way to the islands, I was more curious about food shortages within the stores and resorts. I was not aware that a large amount of imported items come from the US, that is reassuring. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dmacalli View Post
    This is truly unfortunate. Out of curiosity, might anyone have an idea on how this border closure is impacting the tourism within the islands? We are in Aruba in 3 weeks for 10 days, and I am wondering if now I should be reconsidering...
    Why? It is less crowded and totally normal. I own 2 Villas here and have been on the island since early December. No problems that I have seen. Plenty of produce in the grocery stores. Only issue, and it is a positive one, is that shopping at Suprfood and Lings was less crowded and zoolike

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Why? It is less crowded and totally normal. I own 2 Villas here and have been on the island since early December. No problems that I have seen. Plenty of produce in the grocery stores. Only issue, and it is a positive one, is that shopping at Suprfood and Lings was less crowded and zoolike
    Answer in above response. I was unaware that the vast quantity of imports came from the US vs Venezuela. Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by dmacalli View Post
    Tourism from Venezuela was already at an all time low so in that sense it dsn't impact Aruba. Also, while most of the produce comes from the US and Europe, a lot of fruits and veggies do come from Venezuela. This is why cucumber for instance has been hard to find recently. But this is also a none issue given that our local retailers and government have already struck deals with exporters from Colombia and the Dominican Republic to import fruits and veggies from there. Albeit at a slightly more expensive rate.

Today a Venezuelan fishing boat was turned away from Curacao because they wanted to sell fish there. So it seems we got it pretty well covered and the ban is hurting Venezuelans themselves.

Venezuelans are not allowed to travel to the ABC islands. It is a complete and total stoppage of air and maritime travel.

I wonder if Venezuelans can travel to let's say, Columbia and then fly to Aruba.

Both the Prime Minister or Curacao and Aruba have issued travel advisories on going to Venezuela, unless its of great importance, "Don't Go!!"

http://curacaochronicle.com/main/pre...t-the-islands/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast