Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic Jack

Magic Jack

Would anyone know how well Magic Jack works. Will be staying at LaCabana BRC in Dec. & am thinking of using one.

I have 2 of them, and they do not work that well. I use them here in the US with my high speed FIOS connection and the call quality is not good at all. There is usually a big delay in the calls and very tinny. I did not take it with me to Aruba, so I cannot comment on it working there. But with VOIP phones, it comes down to your internet access. If you do not have decent access then for the most part you will probably not get any decent calling. Majic Jack is so cheap it is not a bad thing to have. I actually use it for just an additional phone number with voice mail, that I can give to the people that I don't want to have my real phone number.
    Decided to take down my timer!

Aruba since 1979
    one of our aruba residents and community forum members has "magic jack".
    i have spoken with her on numerous occasions and quality is not great, just fair.

MagicJack

I have been using mine for a couple of years now in Arubaat different locations. So far it has been fine. The internet connections are not in hotels or timeshares and that may be a factor as hotels etc can install or configure their internet to allocate so much bandwidth to different depts and users. The MagicJacks I use in Aruba I also use in Canada and the quality is a lot poorer here with dropped calls as well.

I should mention that when Setar upgraded Broadband services a couple of years back there was a notable improvement. If you are going to rely on ANY Internet phone while in Aruba, just be aware that over the past couple of months there have been prolonged internet outages in the Palm, Eagle and Noord areas.

Aquaman

I am so dumb, I was thinking it was some kind of kitchen tool!!! haha

Thanks for the reply, guess I will just keep buying phone cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    one of our aruba residents and community forum members has "magic jack".
    i have spoken with her on numerous occasions and quality is not great, just fair.

Thank you for your info. Will just buy phone card.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgroi135 View Post
    I have 2 of them, and they do not work that well. I use them here in the US with my high speed FIOS connection and the call quality is not good at all. There is usually a big delay in the calls and very tinny. I did not take it with me to Aruba, so I cannot comment on it working there. But with VOIP phones, it comes down to your internet access. If you do not have decent access then for the most part you will probably not get any decent calling. Majic Jack is so cheap it is not a bad thing to have. I actually use it for just an additional phone number with voice mail, that I can give to the people that I don't want to have my real phone number.

Thanks for all the good info., much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    I have been using mine for a couple of years now in Arubaat different locations. So far it has been fine. The internet connections are not in hotels or timeshares and that may be a factor as hotels etc can install or configure their internet to allocate so much bandwidth to different depts and users. The MagicJacks I use in Aruba I also use in Canada and the quality is a lot poorer here with dropped calls as well.

I should mention that when Setar upgraded Broadband services a couple of years back there was a notable improvement. If you are going to rely on ANY Internet phone while in Aruba, just be aware that over the past couple of months there have been prolonged internet outages in the Palm, Eagle and Noord areas.

Aquaman

We love our Magic Jack! We have used it 4 trips to Aruba and it has worked each time without fail. The call quality sounds exactly the same as the regular phone. We stay at the Marriott Surf/Ocean Club and have had no problems!
    Hope this helps!

I used magic jack on my trip and it worked great as long you have continuous wireless connection . It's more expensive to use phone card but that's your choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast