Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Matthew..depression thru hurricane

Thanks Andrea for the update... this Matthew is one strong storm..

Its safe to say that us surfers and bodyboarders couldn't have had a better last 5 days. We got solid 10-15 foot waves that made me think I was in Hawaii for a second. Too bad about the beach erosion though. That usually does not happen even when we get hurricane swell. I think it happened this time because of how slow the hurricane is traveling and the angle at which it passed by Aruba.

Saw a bad picture of Pelican Pier but I do not have permission to share, it was on a private FB page. The water was up high, at a level where it was in the rerestaurant, today at noon. Clean up and repairs will be needed for certain. It looked worse than the actual hurricane.

Saw on another BB that the waves have been breaking into Mathews restaurant. Outside dining closed however inside is open. Also note on Costa Linda beach cam that it appears surfers are lined up offshore. The good from the bad!
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely View Post
    Saw on another BB that the waves have been breaking into Mathews restaurant. Outside dining closed however inside is open. Also note on Costa Linda beach cam that it appears surfers are lined up offshore. The good from the bad!
    On my way for a quick surf, will upload pics later of the beach!

Aruba since 1979
    cathy/brady bear...stay safe
    you are now under a watch?

here east of tampa (lakeland..polk county) they are telling us if it stays on track, we will have sustained 40 - 60 mph winds....some bands of rain.

Quote Originally Posted by brady bear View Post
    Thanks Andrea for the update... this Matthew is one strong storm..
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Saw a bad picture of Pelican Pier but I do not have permission to share, it was on a private FB page. The water was up high, at a level where it was in the rerestaurant, today at noon. Clean up and repairs will be needed for certain. It looked worse than the actual hurricane.
    The high water preventing to start repairs on Pelican Nest pier. Actually, high waves made more damage to the pier.
    Even prime minister came today to assess damage.
    Matthew..depression thru hurricane-img-20161004-wa0005.jpgMatthew..depression thru hurricane-img-20161004-wa0001.jpgMatthew..depression thru hurricane-img-20161004-wa0004.jpgMatthew..depression thru hurricane-img-20161004-wa0000.jpg
    Please see photos.

We'll be there in a few days and hope to do what we can to aid the cleanup. It looks like there is a lot to do.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Despite not being a direct hit there certainly appears to be a lot of cleaning needed on Palm Beach- the shore line looks like it took a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by GETA62 View Post
    The high water preventing to start repairs on Pelican Nest pier. Actually, high waves made more damage to the pier.
    Even prime minister came today to assess damage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161004-WA0005.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	5443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161004-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	5444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161004-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	5445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161004-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	609 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	5446
    Please see photos.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Just managed to get some wifi. I can't post photos for some reason but yesterday ended up being quite a show of destruction along the coast line.malmok was pretty much underwater and the road was covered in debris from where the waves had been crashing along the rocks and the beach. Boca catalina was inaccessible as the water was over the beach, I managed to get a few photos of the sea over the rocks to the left of boca beach it was right up to courtyard 105 apartments. We helped to collect starfish from the area near the kite surfing and towards Malmok. The cove, as we call it, in between malmok and Catalina was full of water and the memorial bench on there has been washed away. Eagle beach was absolutely covered in seaweed again and a few broken palapas. The sea has dumped so much sand on the beach that some palapas are half buried in the sand. Locals were working hard to clean it up AGAIN! I took the time to ask if they needed any help and to thank them. At Malmok a lady was stood crying looking at the beach and an elderly lady at Boca catalina was upset and praying. Many locals were sat on rocks just staring at the sea. My friend is staying in the Tamarijn at the moment and last night he said during the palm grill the roof was hit by a wave and caved in breaking glass around it, 2 people were hurt (not seriously as fat as I know). I'm not sure what the sea is like today I'll have a look in an hour or so. Poor Aruba I feel so sorry for the locals who are working so hard to get it straight and are clearly upset.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast