Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: May have to cancel my trip....need some advice!

  1. #1
    Senior Member smoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    260

    May have to cancel my trip....need some advice!

    Ok, I will try to make this fast. My husband has been in the hospital the past three days with pneumonia (third time this year...other wise he is very healthy, doesn't even have to take an aspirin!) We are scheduled to leave 12/6 for 7 days for Aruba. I asked the doctor today what he thought about going and he said there is an 80% chance we could still go. He has to get his oxygen level up and keep it up on his own. He may get out this week and the doctor said we will know more by the end of the week.
    I did take insurance (thank you Andrea for reminding me) also I had heard by booking a Jet Blue vacation with the Jet Blue master card I am also covered by that. Now, I do not know which one or both will cover or even put it in a credit for the up coming year.
    His health is more important so we will do what we need to do but I am so depressed, I am all packed! Also the doctor said maybe if he does fly he should wear one of those small white masks as he feels people catch a lot of germs flying.
    Any suggestions my Aruba buddies?
    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    30,492
    I am sorry to hear that your husband is ill.
    Get well Mr. Smoki!!!!

    Glad that you have the insurance.
    Do NOT make any decisions til 48 hours out.
    So you have 14 days for him to recover!

    Yes, he should wear a mask.
    Also too....wipe down the entire hard surface area on the plane with clorox wipes.
    Maybe even gloves for both of you too.
    Hand sanitizer.

    DO NOT CANCEL...yet.
    Wait it out. Work on his good health and then make the decision when you are 48 hours out.

    Is this pneumonia a pre exisiting condition?
    That may be an issue with the insurance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member smoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    260
    No pre existing condition just at a place where there were many people and a lot of people were coughing and sneezing. Should I call either company's and tell them what may happen or wait till the 48 hours out? However I thought I reads something about giving the insurance co a 15 day notice? I don't want to cancel!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    30,492
    i do not know.
    read the fine print.
    you can even call the insurance, but i am unsure of how much for you to tell them.
    i would tell them very very little.'

    read the policy carefully.

    since he was in the hospital for pneumonia 2 other times this year, they "may" call this a pre existing condition.

    Quote Originally Posted by smoki View Post
    No pre existing condition just at a place where there were many people and a lot of people were coughing and sneezing. Should I call either company's and tell them what may happen or wait till the 48 hours out? However i thought I reads something about giving the insurance co a 15 day notice? I don't want to cancel!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    4,063
    Just plain good luck with his health..... with 2 weeks to work on it.... I pray you get to go..... Aruba is very healing.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sue M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    739
    we will all keep our fingers crossed and say a little prayer he will be well enough to travel.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Deck in the afternoon
    Posts
    3,787
    Sorry to hear that your husband is ill and you may have to cancel. It's a stressful decision when trying to decide whether or not to cancel. I agree with the others, read your policy carefully and hold off for a little bit. We were in the same position, my husband got sick and I ended up cancelling. While we did have insurance I didn't end up using it. We were within the cancellation window for both resorts and I was able to cancel without penalty. For the air we were booked on JetBlue. I paid a cancellation fee and they put the credit in my travel bank. Interestingly enough they refunded the cost of the extra room seats and credited my card. The credit is good for one year. You don't have to travel within a year just have the trip booked. Our insurance policy capped the amount of refund on air travel so I felt the JetBlue credit was the way to go.

    A few years back we had to cancel a trip and I had insurance through Expedia. When I cancelled they provided forms for the doctor to fill out. That policy covered us 100% and money was refunded within 2 weeks. So my best advice is to read your policy they all differ. Saying prayers your husband is better soon.

  8. #8
    Senior Member smoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    260
    Thank you all very much for you info & prayers. I will keep you posted.

  9. #9
    Senior Member brady bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,790
    Positive thoughts and prayers heading your way
    very good advice from the others

  10. #10
    Senior Member FBS199's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lighthouse, Marriott Beaches
    Posts
    172
    Hope everything works out - Aruba is a "Healing Place"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO