Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical Care

Unhappy Medical Care

We are supposed to travel to Aruba for 1 week on March 28. He was diagnosed with a clot from calf to groin 10 days ago. He is undergoing treatment and our doctor has said that all is well for us to travel. I am wondering what kind of medical treatment is available to him if it becomes necessary. We are hoping for a quiet, relaxing week but I would like to have a plan in place if necessary. Thanks!

Aruba since 1979
    terrific medical care.
    well equipped modern hospital.
    european and usa trained physicians

everyone that i have spoken with that has had dealings with the hospital and emergency roo services has been quite pleased.

my only experience was with a killer ear infection and i was treated promptly, thoroughly and very inexpensively.

good luck

andrea

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,
    >>> " our doctor has said that all is well for us to travel. "
    ----- As long as your Doctor says that I guess its OK.
    >>> " I am wondering what kind of medical treatment is available to him"
    ----- If there is a problem would head right to the Emergency Room at the hospital. Over 20 years have used it twice and excellent service. Even at 4 in the morning. Check with your resort. That 4 in the morning Security drove us to the hospital.
    If on medication would carry that on the plane as carry-on.
    >>> "and i was treated promptly, thoroughly and very inexpensively."
    ---- Ditto. Wasn't for me but once for son and once for grandson.
    Last edited by TomFrederick; 03-19-2009 at 08:31 AM.

What kind of doctor would you see for this? I know that there is something with clots you can get flying? PM me and i'll see if I can get you a number for a doctor just so you have it. The hospital here is good but for some things does not have the "latest and greatest" toys because of the socialized medicine and the fact they are losing money on it.

I have been to the hospital twice due to a serious heart problem and am here to say that they were wonderful. The level of care and professionalism were above board and as I plan to return to the island once again I have no concerns at all if I should have a problem. My doctor is Casper Lacle who is the top cardiologist on the island. Have your husband get a blood thinner for the flight if he isn't already on one.

My only question...and, of course, I am sure that you got splendid; mind relieving responses from our site; but, perhaps, checking with your insurance to see if they either cover or will reimburse you if your husband does need some sort of medical attention away from the U.S., or wherever you are domiciled. Of course, whether you have insurance coverage is secondary to going to the hospital anyhow.

Just a couple of thoughts

For something like this - I too would recommend trip medical insurance. God forbid something happens - you'd want to go the the hospital in Miami which is one of the top 10 hospitals in the US. There is a great medivac guy on the island we used - can't say enough nice things about him. But it was about 16k US to do it. Our insurance did not cover it

If you have Medicare and no other insurance, get trip insurance immediately. When I had the congestive heart failure I had no clue that Medicare wouldn't cover me out of the states, so protect yourself. We now use Access America and they are wonderful and very reasonable.

I am feeling somewhat better now after hearing from all of you. Thanks a million!

From my heart, you are welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast