Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medical care

Aruba since 1979
    can you IMAGINE that happening in the USA at one of our hospitals?
    hahahah :-)

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by angelone View Post
    I went to the ER the summer of 2008 well let say I was heading to the ER at 4:00 AM never found it ran into a Doctor in the hallway took me to his office I had an Ear infection charged me $50.00 and its cost $5.00 for the script it was great in 24 hours I was much better and had a better exoerience than in Boston no wait.

Andrea posted:

in the event of a huge medical $$$ situation, the credit card is used as well as information from your trip insurance taken. the real costly stuff (air medical evacuation) is billed to your insurance and not expected to pony up right then and there.

------

I would double check on this if you have a pre-existing condition. When I had
    to medivac my mom off the island, she had medicare and it was not covered.
    You might check w/ your insurance company and might have to purchase some additional "trip" coverage for this. It's very expensive

Aruba since 1979
    i would not count on medicare for anythng related to emergency air evacuation.

my comments were based on using trip insurance and using the credit card as a means to get off the island and then seek reimbursement from the trip insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
    Andrea posted:

in the event of a huge medical $$$ situation, the credit card is used as well as information from your trip insurance taken. the real costly stuff (air medical evacuation) is billed to your insurance and not expected to pony up right then and there.

------

I would double check on this if you have a pre-existing condition. When I had
    to medivac my mom off the island, she had medicare and it was not covered.
    You might check w/ your insurance company and might have to purchase some additional "trip" coverage for this. It's very expensive

Thanks for all the hints and proven results from various members about "Medicare" not paying; checking with one's own supplemental insurance before leaving; and, finally, the advisability of taking out "Trip Insurance." Our members are a terrific source of sound infomation on many occasions..

Ed

We always have an extra credit card we take with us just in case any medical emergency arises. Also always purchased trip insurance when staying at hotels.

About 5 years ago, we had a medical emergency. As stated by others, we had to pay the bill in Aruba, & submit to our insurance when we arrived back to U.S. The trip insurance covered many charges our insurance did not. It also allowed for up to $10,000 for special flight arrangements. As our trip was extended an additional 8 days, it also covered additional room expenses among other things.

Karen needed additional surgery about 10 months after the incident, and the trip insurance was still in efect to help cover the bills. (We were told it was good for 1 year).

Definately recommend it!!!
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

Aruba since 1979

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,
    >>> " is no good in Aruba?"
    ------ Medicare for Seniors usually covers nothing out of the States.
    If you have Private Insurance depends who you have. Need to talk to them.
    Some insurance will pay you when you return if you get good documentation and cost in US $$$. Our's paided for both of us on a cruise ship for a doctor's visit and meds.

Plus I think you have to check on the different kinds of insurance you have and consider you "health needs". There is trip insurance which can just cover if your trip is cancelled then there are other types which also includes medical. I would just carefully review these policies. My private health insurance covered medical on a cruise ship - "basic" but if
    you have a heart condition or something that you might need med-evac - you should see
    if that's covered because of the big bucks for it, I would think that might be "extra"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12