Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Medicare/Aruba....Health Insurance coverage in Aruba

Aruba since 1979

Medicare/Aruba....Health Insurance coverage in Aruba

Please remember.........Medicare is NOT accepted in Aruba.
    No USA health insurance plans are accepted in Aruba.
    If you get treatment in Aruba, Medicare will not reimburse, but the supplement "may" reimburse.
    (Save your receipts so that you can submit to your health insurance and/or travel insurance for possible reimbursement)

Please remember to get "trip insurance"

a good place to start is www.insuremytrip.com

Opposite to the US, Aruba has free health care for Aruban citizens.

Our healthcare system is a disaster but if it were "free" it would be more of a disaster IMO. Nothing in this world is free, including healthcare and education. Sorry, my economics background won't allow me to engage in "free" talk, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Opposite to the US, Aruba has free health care for Aruban citizens.

We have purchased the trip insurance and with Andrea's guidance we choose the best plans. You gain so much knowledge from this forum especially is newbies to Aruba.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Never would have thought about that with medical but thanks Andrea, for the heads up about knowing these things. I did call my insurance since we are not on medicare. If its an emergency, they cover 100%. that if its an emergency, they consider that to be in-network. they said to tell them to write as detailed as they could since medical codes are different and put the US amount next to it. then we have 48 hours when we return to submit it. they also gave me two telephone numbers we could use if we need to out of the country, both we can call collect.

they also said if its not an emergency but if you go to say a dr or urgent care, same thing with the descriptions & US dollars. However, if its not an emergency, they will consider that to be out of network & only reimburse 70%. I feel so much better.

I contacted my health insurance provider a few trips ago and was informed that we would be covered similar to what Gaby said. We were also provided with a list of preferred doctors and dentists on the island. I update the list before leaving on every trip and have it in my Aruba folder.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Walt, I asked that question about drs. they said it didn't matter who we went to. if its not an emergency, its going to be considered out of network & they would only pay 70%. In other words, non-emergencies are only partially covered, well i'll take the 70%, lol. if it is an emergency, they don't care who you go to, its considered in-network & they will be pay 100%.

But if Andrea didn't bring this subject up, I would have been clueless. I'm lucky they will pay but I never thought to check up until this thread. I probably would have just assumed, and you know how well that turned out for Felix & Oscar, lol....We worry about car rental, trip insurance for cancelled flights but do we think of medical? I know I didn't.

Please, I just found out American Express, unless you have the premium insurance for $24.95 per rental period, does not cover your car rental outside the USA. I do have that premium insurance but truthfully, its useless. But my Visa covers car rentals anywhere.

Aruba since 1979
    Pleased understand though that the Aruba doctors, urgent care, hospital take no USA health insurance. You must pay upfront and chances are your private insurance and or supplement should reimburse you provided you submit receipts. Medicare Will not reimburse

That's what the insurance company said. We'd pay them in Aruba and then when we got home, submitted the bills.

Aruba since 1979
    A few years ago, forum member Aruba Amy had a bad case of stomach bug or food poisoning.
    Her reimbursement, as I remember was swift and easy.
    I had a killer ear infection once in Aruba, paid upfront at the hospital and the reimbursement came pretty easily once i submitted everything when i got home.

It is important (i have been told) to get receipts in English. (or whichever language your insurance company understands )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast