Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GETA62
  • 1 Post By GETA62
  • 1 Post By Jacki

Thread: MIO device or options from SETAR or DIGICEL

Aruba since 1979

MIO device or options from SETAR or DIGICEL

Is there another option other than MIO?
    Does Digicel or Setar offer similar devices?

I keep thinking I'm going to look into these devices, but the wifi just keeps getting better each year so I don't have to!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Is there another option other than MIO?
    Does Digicel or Setar offer similar devices?
    My local friends tried to switch to similar device, offered by Setar, but did not like the service and get back to MIO.

My friends from the island use MIO but complain about them being so outrageous on prices. They tried all of them before but I guess MIO has the best service.
    I shut my data down when getting on plane in states and only use wifi at resort. I keep my phone locked in safe and only check it once in the morning in case someone tried to get in touch with me but I tell everyone to email me if they need me because I do have a mini iPad and use it regularly while in the room. Never take any device with us when we are out of the room. Do not want to be tethered during vacation, it is bad enough I have to be tethered to a device 24/7 while at home because of my job...so while on vacation...NO devices !!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

We've heard mixed reviews on the wifi at ABC so I was thinking about getting one of these types of devices. Question - does anyone take these out when driving around to use wifi on your phone and any app for directions? I know google maps has pretty good info for Aruba when I"m looking from home. I was just wondering if how the turn by turn apps are there. I know, I know, you can't get lost, but we like having an idea of where to we are going.
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We've heard mixed reviews on the wifi at ABC so I was thinking about getting one of these types of devices. Question - does anyone take these out when driving around to use wifi on your phone and any app for directions? I know google maps has pretty good info for Aruba when I"m looking from home. I was just wondering if how the turn by turn apps are there. I know, I know, you can't get lost, but we like having an idea of where to we are going.
    We are using Waze together with MIO and t working fine in Aruba. Recently MIO offering their phones and various plans ( voice and data) and if running out of data you may top in gas station in Sasaki across from Bowling Place, near rt4.

More info on http://www.mioaruba.com/
    Last edited by GETA62; 09-27-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We used a $5 app that does NOT require wifi or any network connection and actually worked somehow. It's a little slow to catch up with the car while driving, but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have found our way home from Amuse Bistro without it. Actually, may not have found the restaurant without it! It's the Aruba Offline Map by PocketGlobe
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ