Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mio device and sim card questions

Mio device and sim card questions

I can't believe I'll finally be in sunny warm Aruba in a little over 3 weeks. Finally! Please excuse my questions if they are stupid but I'm not clear on some tech stuff

We are staying at the Marriott Stellaris and arriving Easter Sunday. I understand that the earliest I will be able to get the device is Tuesday. Where can I get it closest to the Marriott?

OK, so that takes care of internet access. For long distance should I just pick up a sim card for each of us? We have an iPhone 5 and 2 iPhone 4s's. We want to be able to talk to each other if needed (if we split up to do different stuff) and we will need to make a few calls back home. I also need to call verizon to have the phones unlocked to let us use the sim, is that correct? Also, will anyone be at the airport for us to purchase sim cards (since we are flying in on Easter)?

Thanks for your help!!
    Last edited by ReneeDiorio; 03-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    if you are driving or taking a taxi, you go to the SuperFoods which is across (sort of ) from the Tropicana. From the Marriott, less than 5 minutes to get there. Its like a small open strip mall. The sign for the SuperFoods is huge. the store is located there among the stores. I'm assuming the name of the store is Mio Wireless or something.

Sorry I can't help you with the sim cards. I usually just rent a phone when I am there.

Aruba since 1979
    The Mio auhorized reseller is CELLULAR EXPRESS, located at the SuperFoods Plaza.
    They are open Mon thru Sat from 10a-8p
    I would imagine that they are closed on Easter Monday.

Re: SIM card, I have no idea if the kiosks at the airport would be closed on Easter Sunday.
    I would like to think that all tourist related places at the airport would be open.
    If those are closed, possibly Marriott sundrie shop will have the SIM cards?
    They sell a little bit of everything.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Be aware that Cellular Express at Super Foods is closed for lunch from 2-3 pm.

Thank you everyone! It's going to be a long 3 weeks waiting!

How was the mio service ?

Aruba since 1979
    friends of our staying at lacabana during the same time we were at the renaissance had the MIO and were quite happy.
    they said it was far superior than the spotty free wifi and the pay wifi there.
    they also brought it to the beach and had no negative issues.

Quote Originally Posted by arubanole View Post
    How was the mio service ?

We also purchased it on our last trip and it worked wonderfully! Used it both beach and poolside. You can connect up to 4-5 devices to it as well.

I have been here for 10 days and the MIO service has been GREAT...10 more days to go!!! I have used it from the lighthouse to San Nicolas with no issues...

The only issue was initially I went to CellularExpress in the SuperFoods plaza and they were unable to successfully activate a new MIO for me...I went downtown the next morning and they successfully activated the one I purchased there...I read on another forum about folks having trouble at CellularExpress also...

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    just on the off chance it can't be activated at cellular express, where is the place downtown? In reference to the main street (renaissance). I'm not that familiar with the street names.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast