Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: MIO Question

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    thanks for the info. what does it mean mi-fi for us $27 and then the device and then the GB. so to start you need two things and then the plan? so basically your first time would come up to $27 plus $18 plus $38? That still sounds reasonable and more reliable than the Setar Card. And then the next time you go its just basically the $38. I don't see how you can go wrong with that. The setar card for a month is $70 and its very unreliable. And you would need to get a new one every time you go. I think the MIO is very cost efficient if you're going to Aruba more than once (which let's face it, we all end up doing after going once, lol). Its a very addictive island, lol. We booked our place, not our air yet but at least we have a place to stay if we get there, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
    I emailed them for more info

Here's their answer:
    You can purchase a Mi-Fi and activate this for AWG 49,-, which is approximately US$27. We charge AWG. 30,- for the Mi-Fi device, which is approximately US$18. Both these charges are a one time fee. The device is compatible with your tablet. Additionally we offer different packages: 4GB for AWG 69 (Approx. US$38), 8GB for AWG 99 (Approx. US$55) or 15GB for AWG 145 (Approx. US$80). This will give you 30 days of premium wireless internet anywhere, anytime. Should you surpass the amount of GB you purchased before the end of those 30 days you will still be connected but with a slower connection. The device offers up to 5 connections up to 30 feet.

Our store, located at Caya G.F. Betico Croes 168, is open from Monday through Saturday from 10am - 6pm. We also have a retail store located at the Superfood Plaza called Cellular Xpress and is open on the same days mentioned above from 10am - 8pm.

I may be reading it wrong, but I *think* it says the device and activation is Approx $27 - the actual Mi-Fi device is approx $18 the rest is bandwidth. Maybe 2GB? Just a guess. But if you choose more bandwidth you can choose a different package.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

My understanding is that the MIFI and the activation which is needed are $27.
    The MIFI alone is $18 but it's irrelevant since you need the activation.
    (I think the activation probably involve putting a MIO sim card in the MIFI)

Then you add your Data package which vary from $38 to $80 for one month (30 days).
    Month always begin on the first on the month..., so if you need it from March 19 to April 06 you need to purchase two months...

That makes sense - Thanks Pierre. I remember someone saying it was approx $60 total for the first month and thinking that was just under the price of the Setar card for 1 month ($70). Then return visits would be data only.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I hope I can explain MIO service correctly. I don’t know what MIFi is. The cost of the MIO device to get wi-fi (for up to 5 devices) is 30, florin ($17.14 US). There is also a one time activation fee of 49, florin ($28. US). Total 79, florin. Divide 79, florin by 1.75 to get the total of $45.14 in US dollars. There is no tax on the device or the activation charge. Remember these charges are a one time fee. Future visits you only pay for the data plan you choose.

After paying for the MIO device and activation fee you choose a data plan. The cheapest plan is 4GB (this is what I purchase as I don’t watch movies or download music or books on my devices). The cost of 4GM data is 70,05 florin ($40.02 US); 8GB is 100,50 florin ($57.42 US); 15GB is 145, florin (approx $84. US). There is tax on the data plan which is included in prices shown.

As I noted MIO is good for up to 5 devices. When purchasing data take in account of how many devices will be using data. Your devices will get slower when you are near the end of using up your allotted data. If you use up all your data you will not be able to get on the internet or email. I would suggest telling the agent at MIO what you will be using your devices for on wi-fi so they can help you decide how much data you will need during your stay.

Last Sept/Oct I paid for 1 day of data as I purchased the plan the on the last day of Sept. The one day of data cost me less than $2.00 but I received a very small amount of data (4GB plan pro-rated) which was fine for 1 day. Then I paid the full cost for 4GB data for October even though I didn’t stay the whole month. As an example if you are starting the data plan on the 15th of a month, you would receive 2GB of data on a 4GB plan and 4GB on a 8GB plan, etc. You would pay 50% of the full monthly cost. If you purchased the plan as example on the 5th of a month, the amount of data and cost would be pro-rated until the end of the month. If you stay into the next month even if staying only 1 week or even a few days you would have to pay the full monthly data cost. MIO will not pro-rate the 2nd month.

Someone told me after they purchased and paid for the device and activation fee that they set-up their devices themselves. I'm not tech savvy. And if I paid for MIO service let them do it. I brought all my devices with me when I first got Mio 2 years ago (laptop & I-pad) and had them set them up. This past September when I went to purchase the data plan I brought in my new iphone and my friends iphone and her tablet to set-up.

The downtown MIO office is open Mon-Fri from 8 am-6 pm and Saturday from 10 am-6 pm. Closed Sundays and holidays.
    You can also purchase the MIO device and data plans at Cellular Express outside the new Super Foods. Hours are Mon-Fri 10 am-8 pm, Saturday 10 am-5 pm. Closed Sundays and holidays. Cellular Express closes for lunch from 2-3 pm. The MIO office downtown does not close for lunch.

If you have a vehicle you might want to go to their downtown office the first time instead of Cellular Express. When I brought in the iPhones and tablet in Sept to Cellular Express she asked me what my password was to set-up the new devices. I had no idea as the MIO office set-up my devices. After awhile she said "oh the password # is on the back of the MIO. Maybe by now they know what they are doing. I would trust that the MIO office is more competent than Cellular Express to help decide how much data is needed especially if you have a few devices.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Liz - Aruba Lover; 02-19-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Thank you Liz, that is perfect. I actually copied it to take with me. Thanks again!!

Aruba since 1979
    Liz as gaby says perfect

Thanks Liz the MIFI is the name of the wifi device that you bought.
    (In reality it is a Novatel MIFI 2200 that MIO puts his name on...)

http://www.mioaruba.com/product?v=ezk7w6y6bhmo

Last edited by qlaval; 02-19-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Pierre

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
    Thanks Liz the MIFI is the name of the wifi device that you bought.
    (In reality it is a Novatel MIFI 2200 that MIO puts his name on...)

http://www.mioaruba.com/product?v=ezk7w6y6bhmo

That's what my device looks like. Thanks.

Thank you Liz!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123