Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Mooma has a home

I don't like to post anything until i'm sure it's a done deal. A lovely american couple are coming to the island and adopting Mooma.
    They have a 5 month old kitten so he won't be alone. We have
    3 kittens around that age that he plays with very nicely so that makes me extremely happy.

I'll post more later when I can!!

Best news I have heard all day! Lucky Mooma!

Who's Mooma?

I live in Aruba. One of the things I got involved in (partly not of my own choice) was cat/kitten rescue. If you look on my webshots site
    I have some of the ones I have rescued:

http://community.webshots.com/user/msgrumble

There is a big problem with cats and dogs here on the island. Lots of people seem to be into dog rescue. I think I am a "cat magnet". I went to lunch at the lighthouse and the gardener was watering the plants - I heard little meows and found 5 kittens under a plant. A stray cat has a life span of about 3 years - disease, dogs and nutrition are the major causes of death.

Mooma was brought to me by a woman we always see in the vet. She rescues dogs and had found a kitten on the beach. She couldn't keep it because the dogs would have killed it. What could I say?

You will see posts from me now and then asking for US tourists to adopt one of these guys. Unfortunately (some) of the Arubians and latin americans do not have the same feelings about pets as people from the US and holland do. Because of the availablility - most of the "pets" are thought to be disposable and aren't taken care of well. It's really easy to take a cat back to the US and that is the best chance of having a really good life for these guys. Plus they make the most excellent souvineer from the island you can get - forget the jewelry - everytime you pat your cat you will think of Aruba!!!

I do this out of my own pocket because there are no shelters for cats here. Sometimes the vet can take some but they are pretty overwhelmed with animals. In fact, I have two kittens who I got from the vet that were abondoned at their door. They had just opened their eyes and were so dirty. The vet couldn't take care of them so now we have bunny and dude as part of our family!

Love the names "Bunny" and "Dude"!