Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Mosquito Virus

Mosquito Virus

Has anyone heard of the Chikungunya virus that has made many people sick once bitten by a mosquito. St martin ,St Kitts and a few other islandshave had cases reported Has anyone heard of any cases in Aruba?

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    That one is more prevalent in Africa but a few cases have shown up in the Caribbean since 2006. Dengue fever is reported every year in Aruba and is the one to watch out for.

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.amigoe.com/english/174870...virus-on-aruba
    here is an article about chikungunya virus caused by mosquitos.
    the 3 cases were not confirmed and those 3 cases apparently the people infected were on St Maarten prior to arriving to Aruba.

it appears it is a non issue in aruba right now, but i am sure the health dept in aruba is being attentive.

Quote Originally Posted by CandyC55 View Post
    Has anyone heard of the Chikungunya virus that has made many people sick once bitten by a mosquito. St martin ,St Kitts and a few other islandshave had cases reported Has anyone heard of any cases in Aruba?

Thank you I will bring bug spray ....

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    The local newspapers in Aruba had an article about this when we were there last month. I haven't been able to locate the article, but here is one from the CDC recently. I also read that there was one confirmed case in Aruba from a tourist who had just been in St Martin. It was believed that he contracted the illness there and not in Aruba. There have been no confirmed cases in Aruba.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/...a-saint-martin

here is the article ;)

Chikungunya virus hits the Caribbean

ORANJESTAD The Aruba Health Department wished to inform the community about the situation regarding the Chikungunya virus in the Caribbean region and Aruba. Chikungunya is an infectious disease that is gaining ground. The virus is transmitted by Aedes aegypti, the same mosquito that transmit the Dengue virus.

During the month of December PAHO/WHO was notified of the first 2 confirmed Chikungunya cases reported in San Maarten, which were locally transmitted. Prior to that, only imported cases were recorded, in the USA, Canada and Brazil.

Presently, various Chikungunya infection cases were confirmed, in Anguilla, British Virgin Island, Dominica, French Guyana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Barthelemy and St. Maarten. The total cases in the region reported are 1457, mostly proceeding from St. Martin (French side), followed by Martinique and Guadaloupe.

On January 30, 2014 the Aruba Health Department officially received the results of 3 alleged Chikungunya cases on Aruba. Only one person was positively diagnosed; a 57-year old male person who visited St. Martin (French side). Immediately all concerned agencies were alerted to avoid a break-out on Aruba.

The Public Health Department kindly ask for the cooperation of everyone planning to travel in the Caribbean region or receiving visitors from the Caribbean, as is common during Carnival, to take the necessary precautions, particularly to avoid mosquito bites.

The department also urges everyone to examine the grounds around their dwellings and remove any litter, to avoid providing mosquito breeding grounds. Any object that can contain rain or running water can be a breeding ground. Examine all buckets and saucers under potted plants and keep them dry. Be mindful of anything that can collect water and function as a breeding ground, like tires, cups, or lids; empty garbage cans regularly and drain them of rainwater or put a cover on them.

Inside the house change the water in vases every 2 to 3 days. Make sure the cesspool is securely covered. Always check inside and around the house for breeding grounds. If your neighbors are elderly people, help them to also keep their houses clean.

Chikungunya is a viral disease that typically causes fever and headache, along with an intense arthritis-like pain in the joints (that can last for a month) and a rash. It is spread to humans through the bite of an infected mosquito. The symptoms of chikungunya can appear similar to those of dengue fever, although it is caused by a different virus.

If you or someone you know experiences these symptoms, please go immediately to the house doctor for testing.

For more information, call the Department of Public Health at tel.: 522-4200.

I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks and one of the ports is St Martin. I was planning to go to the beach but now I have second thoughts! Maybe I will just stay on the ship and enjoy the indoor spa pool..

Aruba since 1979
    I would not let it rule your shore excursions ace!
    spray down with OFF a few times while on the islands.
    The mosquitos could be plentiful at dawn and dusk.
    And in the chance that u get a bite there is a big chance it is not one that carries that virus.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks and one of the ports is St Martin. I was planning to go to the beach but now I have second thoughts! Maybe I will just stay on the ship and enjoy the indoor spa pool..
    If you go to a beach, you are unlikely to get bit by a mosquito. As long as the wind is blowing you will be fine on the beaches. Mosquitos are most active in the early morning and after sunset. They stay out of the wind because they cant fly in it very well. There have been very few cases of this disease on St Maarten or any where else in the Caribbean. It is not a common disease even in Africa.
    Last edited by arubabob; 03-08-2014 at 06:18 PM.