Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitos

Quote Originally Posted by billybabe3883 View Post
    Any repellent that is good that we can bring from home? What kind and suggested place to purchase

THANKS and Happy New Year
    I do not know where you are from, but anything with DEET, will be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I do not know where you are from, but anything with DEET, will be useful.
    From Wisconsin....I just thought someone must of by now found a great brand that is easy to use and fairly inexpensive.

I was looking on amazon and found them in a WIDE range of prices

Thanks

As the wind picks back up, the Mosquitoes will blow away... But you should always wear repellent especially at dusk and dawn.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    Most of the time, repellent is not necessary at all here and remember that DEET is poison and is banned in a lot of countries, so just use it when you absolutely need it.
    BTW there is no need to bring it. You can buy it everywhere in Aruba, so if it is suddenly needed when you are here, you can go buy it.

Carsten

I bring down Off Family formula pump spray just because that's what we keep on the patio @ home. It's a type of insurance.. Think we've been bringing it for 4 years and have never needed it. Prior to that there were only a few instances we had bites and it was usually at dusk.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.off.com/mosquito-repellent/
    most of the "off" family care products have "some" deet.

we brought some from home and bought some at LINGS or Super Food.

the stuff we brought from home with the "deet alternative" did not work as well for us.

still we find that rubbing BOUNCE fabric softener sheets on our arms and legs did as well as the OFF with a small amount of deet. unfortunately we ran out of fabric softener sheets while in aruba so had to buy some!

Don’t Let the Bugs Bite: Preventing Dengue and Other Diseases Spread by Mosquitoes

• "Use an insect repellent containing DEET or Picaridin on exposed skin. DEET, in concentrations of 30 to 50 percent, is effective for several hours. Picaridin, which is available in 7 percent and 15percent concentrations, must be applied more frequently. If you use a sunscreen, apply it first, then put on the insect repellent.
    • DEET is recommended for both adults and children over 2 months of age. For babies younger than 2 months, use a carrier draped with mosquito netting with an elastic edge for a tight fit."

Repellents for Use on Skin and Clothing"CDC has evaluated information published in peer-reviewed scientific literature and data available from EPA to identify several EPA-registered products that provide repellent activity sufficient to help people avoid the bites of disease-carrying mosquitoes. Products containing the following active ingredients typically provide reasonably long-lasting protection:

• DEET (chemical name: N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide or N,N-diethly-3-methyl-benzamide). Products containing DEET include but are not limited to Off!, Cutter, Sawyer, and Ultrathon.
    • Picaridin (KBR 3023, aka Bayrepel, and icaridin outside the United States; chemical name 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 1-methylpropyl ester). Products containing picaridin include but are not limited to Cutter Advanced, Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus and Autan (outside the United States).
    • Oil of lemon eucalyptus* or PMD (chemical name: para-menthane-3,8-diol) the synthesized version of oil of lemon eucalyptus. Products containing OLE and PMD include but are not limited to Repel.
    • IR3535 (chemical name: 3-[N-butyl-N-acetyl]-aminopropionic acid, ethyl ester) Products containing IR3535 include but are not limited to Skin so Soft Bug Guard Plus Expedition.

*Note: This recommendation refers to EPA-registered repellent products containing the active ingredient oil of lemon eucalyptus (or PMD). “Pure” oil of lemon eucalyptus (e.g., essential oil) is not the same product and has not received similar, validated testing for safety and efficacy, is not registered with EPA as an insect repellent, and is not covered by this recommendation.
    EPA characterizes the active ingredients DEET and picaridin as “conventional repellents” and oil of lemon eucalyptus, PMD, and IR3535 as “biopesticide repellents,” which are derived from natural materials."

The CDC also recommends applying sunscreen before repellant.

We are on the island right now, and I can say for fact . . . bring / buy bug spray. It has been one of the rainiest times here the past months and the salina near Malmok is brimming with water and there is lots of residual water around. I have gotten eaten alive at night in our back yard here in Tierra del Sol - the worse I have seen since coming here. Michael

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    The last week there have been no or very little rain and this has already reduced the amount of bugs with probably 50-95%, but in the "wetter" parts of the island there are still annoyances.
    Every day with this "normal" Aruba weather is making it better.
    My bug killer lamps have gone from 2-300 hundred a night per lamp, when it was worst to maybe 10 now.
    We had a period where we did not keep the windows and doors open at all, but now we have them open during the daytime and just close at dusk.
    P.S. if you are coming here and stay in an area that has them still, the shops are well stocked here with the sprays that works.
    Carsten

We are coming for our first visit to Aruban on Feb. 12. I have visted the Caribben several times, but my most memorable was Jamaiaca in July when the mosquitos and sand flies ate me alive. I swelled up and was so miserable I had to see the resort doctor after only 2 days on the island. He said I was allergic to mosquitos. Since then, I have seen my allergist before I go and he gives me Prednezone to take before hand so when bitten, my body doesn't react as bad. I wasn't planning on seeing him before our trip to Aruba since I didn't figure there were any (especially in feb.), but reading the posts, I'm reconsidering this. What is your suggestion for those who visit/live for our week in Feb.? Definitely don't want to be eaten alive again - that made for one horrible and uncomfortable couple of days in Jamaica!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast