Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Mosquitos and other little "biters"

OK thanks guys...I'll take my own SSS and deet stuff - cheaper in UK than in Aruba me thinks!!

Gotta try the fabric softener thing - if nothing else it will stop the static cling!!!

:-)

Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Baby Beach
    Dengue Fever is no FUN! After going to Aruba 15 times 2 years ago I got bit, and believe me it is no fun, no one knew what it was I had high fever and no energy thank God it was the last 2 days. Went to Drs and they did not prescribe anything other than antibiotic, got to the States went to my Dr. he too did not know what it was until I posted something on this site and someone told me what it could be....sure enough it was Dengue....it took over 1 month for it to leave my system....so when I go this year am taking plenty of OFF....

Quote Originally Posted by tavilas View Post
    Dengue Fever is no FUN! After going to Aruba 15 times 2 years ago I got bit, and ..... ....so when I go this year am taking plenty of OFF....
    You're so right to do so.

The biggest danger with dengue fever is if you catch it a second time. The reason is that there are 4 strains of dengue and if you contract any one of the 3 strains different from the one you got the first time round, your body will use all its resources to fight what it thinks is the first strain, leaving it defenceless against the new virus. You may then get Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever - which effectively destroys the platelets that cause blood to clot, meaning you can bleed to death. It's very important not to listen to people who know nothing about the disease telling you you would be immune because you got it once.

Aruba since 1979
    scary stuff indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post

The biggest danger with dengue fever is if you catch it a second time. The reason is that there are 4 strains of dengue and if you contract any one of the 3 strains different from the one you got the first time round, your body will use all its resources to fight what it thinks is the first strain, leaving it defenceless against the new virus. You may then get Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever - which effectively destroys the platelets that cause blood to clot, meaning you can bleed to death. It's very important not to listen to people who know nothing about the disease telling you you would be immune because you got it once.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post

I did not even know about the above....now I will take double the amount of OFF the highest protection available.....
    Does anyone know what is the highest ?

Quote Originally Posted by tavilas View Post
    I did not even know about the above....now I will take double the amount of OFF the highest protection available.....
    Does anyone know what is the highest ?
    Your doctor should have told you.... but the majority aren't well informed since this is mostly a vacationer sickness.
    (But not anymore... Hawaii and some southern states are now touched...)

In your case it's important to be aware that if you feel sick again you need to go to the hospital (either in Aruba or at home, don’t worry about going in Aruba they are well aware about what to do).

As you probably know, there is no specific drug to kill the dengue virus.
    However, doctors can employ various supportive measures to strengthen the body so that it can recover from the disease.

Here’s how:
    • Patients are encouraged to drink lots of water to keep the body’s water at an optimum level. If needed, doctors give dextrose fluid to prevent dehydration.
    • Monitor blood count. Doctors check the hematocrit and platelet count regularly to see if there is a need to transfuse blood components.
    • They might give medicines to prevent ulcer, since bleeding is a possibility.
    • Patients are encourage to eat regularly, specifically soft, easily digestible foods. Patients are advised to avoid eating dark colored foods, because they need to monitor the stool’s color. (Black stool means blood for doctors.)

Here's a picture of EPA approved US mosquitoes repellents with strong DEET concentration.

The reason I take the time to explain all this is not to alarm anybody but to spread knowledge, because knowledge = power...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mosquitos and other little "biters"-repellent.jpg  
    Last edited by qlaval; 07-20-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Pierre

thanks and its true Knowldge is Power

how are the bugs in aruba now?? Last year, they were bad!! Just curios!

Mosquito Alert

In my years of coming to Aruba, I have not experienced mosquitoes like this year. With all the rain and standing water they are really bad. Yesterday we sat outside at Rembrandts and for lunch and they were swarming around our legs and feet. The restaurant provided some OFF which helped big time. This morning (again overcast) there is a breeze and at my home in the Noord area I am again under attack. Hopefully it will dry up soon and the mosquitoes will be less of an issue.

Aruba since 1979
    I agree.

See u in a day or 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast