Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

My beloved Casa Vieja...

...was robbed. Apparently a couple of nights ago a couple of idiots conducted an attack on Casa Vieja, the Colombian restaurant that I very much enjoy most every week I'm in Aruba. The nice woman who owns the joint, whose husband recently passed away, reminds me of my grandmother.

At any rate, I sure would appreciate it if the police would limit their card games and strutting around in fancy sunglasses to a minimum. Instead, my I humbly suggest they get out there and act like police, which means patrol with keen eyes, investigate like you're actually interested in solving crimes, and put a hurting on the fools who ruin honest people's lives. Or, would that mean that you'd have to get out of those air conditioned station houses and SUV's and WORK? Oh, my, that four letter word again.

So if anyone from the GOVERNMENT, TOURIST BOARD, or in some position to make a difference happens to read this, I would sincerely appreciate it if you would make a difference for the GOOD PEOPLE of this island.

Enough said.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Dan,
    The more you report on crime in Aruba and speak the truth about what is going on maybe something will happen.If crime rises,tourism leaves.KEEP ARUBA SAFE....

I feel your frustration 44. I still have not heard anything from the police since my home was burglarized on September 22, 2009. Hopefully, since my story was recently in the local newspaper Dario, some changes will come.

If the police do not get a handle on the crime situation, they will be losing tourist money; mine included.

My story can be found here Home Burglaries in Aruba

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    questions and are there any answers?
    are the police understaffed?
    underpaid?
    overworked?
    lacking in training?
    lacking in investigatory equipment?

should the police hire some liason type folks to help with communications?.
    there are obvious communication issues.
    are they issues that we would not understand as we are "outsiders"?

is it a cultural thing?
    meaning, we here in the usa are so used to communication and EXPECT nothing less than adequate communication from all that we deal with.
    in aruba is it just different?

i wish i had some answers.

and.......there is no doubt that the aruba police had a communications nightmare with the events surrounding the disappearance of NH. is there something that could have been learned then?

again, i have no answers.........just questions too.

Retagger,

I doubt very much that you'll hear anything. Sad, but true.

Generally... while crime is not a "huge" issue in Aruba, it's like rust, it slowly destroys the fabric of a society. Worse, when it becomes institutionally acceptable, it requires dramatic measures to get things back on track.

Based upon the evidence I've seen recently there have been some improvements in Aruba with regard to the overall quality of life there. However, it appears there is no commitment to deal in a serious way with the criminal element. Rather there is a smile, wink, and nod. "Acceptable losses," seems to be the attitude. Victims are accused of "over-reacting." ...and so it goes.

I'm not sure why a police force and government would tolerate criminal abuse such as burglary, robbery, assault, and such. It only leads people to either 1) leave; or 2) solve it themselves.

We'll see.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

I like the riptide side of the island and the natural coastline.

Home invasion!

As a loyal Aruba visitor and supporter, my recent negative experience with lawlessness has shaken my confidence and sense of security on the island. I have been a visitor for over 12 years. In 2006, I purchased property and had a small, humble home built and have stayed in it over the last two years. On my recent stay during the last two weeks, I came home from dinner only to find my backdoor and doorframe in splinters and my tiny, modest home trashed. I am sickened by this experience and have a new fear that I have never felt before on the island. I'm an alert, attentive person and have always paid attention to my surroundings in order to ensure my personal safety. I thought I had taken measures to secure my little home and felt that I maintained vigilance. This was such a personal assault to have the entire interior turned upside down. Considering I had nothing of value, the intruder gained very little for his or her efforts. The police were responsive, which was much appreciated, however, I have no hope for the capture of the criminal. I understand that this type of home invasion has become a common practice on the island. This is such a sad situation. I have re-secured my home and added additional safety features. If this type of incident occurs again, I will be forced to sell and never return to an island that I love so dearly. I don't think I can remain if I will be fraught with fear from now on.