• 1 Post By ~Amy~
  • 1 Post By danadog56
  • 1 Post By Traceyd14
  • 1 Post By AUA1989
  • 1 Post By Traceyd14
  • 3 Post By Animal Rescuer

Thread: Navigating The Island In A Regular Rental Car

Navigating The Island In A Regular Rental Car

I will be renting a 'standard' car (aka not a 4x4) but would like to see as much of the island as possible. I have read that some spots (such as the Natural Pool) are not accessible without a 4x4 or with an organized tour. So, is it possible to see the majority of 'both coasts' with a regular rental vehicle? Which areas would require an upgrade?

You can see most of the island (with the exception of the Natural Pool) with a regular car. We have driven through Arikok Park many times without any issues. They actually have a decent map now with the roads that are available and the ones where you need a 4WD (red dotted lines.)

http://www.arubanationalpark.org/mai...ok-map-big.jpg
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- South Beach, FL: Feb. 2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

a regular car is fine, and as Amy mentioned there is really no problems as long as you do not try to take the car to the Natural Pool. Everywhere else is fine as long as you are careful and don't try to drive like a maniac in a regular car.
    We rent jeeps but we also take them back to the Natural Pool. If you really want to go there you can always go on a jeep tour or you can rent a jeep for the day...always options....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

There are a few places along the coast that we have seen cars that I'm kind if surprised by. The dirt road between the light house and over near the fallen natural bridge has some spots where I would be concerned about bottoming out. Just be cautious and take your time.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 08-09-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Over the years, we've taken both type vehicles on a drive around the island. We did get the jeep stuck one time (maybe because DH and BIL thought they could go up and over instead of around). It is amazing to see the difference in topography and crazy ocean on the other coastline. It is well worth it if you've not seen that part of the island previously.
    Jeep vs. car:
    when younger we rented jeeps; No A/C, not always comfy and you can't leave anything in the jeep as it doesn't lock, but it can go a few places cars cannot
    now we rent a car; A/C, a little more comfort and you can lock it, but prevents you from driving in a couple places

Hoping for a 30th anniversary trip to our favorite place.

If you rent a hard top jeep, you still can get A.C. and lock things inside, although not out if sight the like the trunk of a car would be.
    We have done it twice.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 08-10-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Corrected things (from thongs)

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    If you rent a hard top jeep, you still can get A.C. and lock thongs inside, although not out if sight the like the trunk of a car would be.
    We have done it twice.
    Sadly, it's been some time since anyone has wanted to steal one of my thongs. Boo hoo!
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    If you rent a hard top jeep, you still can get A.C. and lock thongs inside, although not out if sight the like the trunk of a car would be.
    We have done it twice.
    Thank you Tracey! Now I have a comeback when my hubby uses those reasons not to get a jeep.

And, I'm usually wearing my thongs. LOL

Hoping for a 30th anniversary trip to our favorite place.

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Thank you Tracey! Now I have a comeback when my hubby uses those reasons not to get a jeep.

And, I'm usually wearing my thongs. LOL
    Lol...Im the worst at typing!