Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Need Help ASAP! Real People?

I am multiple time visitor to Aruba, poster here, and a recognized around the globe for my photographs. I made some photographs last visit and the Aruban Government wants to use it for their "Economic vision for 2011-2013."

Email back and forth have gone smooth, but I've been catching loop holes and grown suspicious that this is some sort of scam. They've lied about deadline multiple times. The government claims not to use check or credit card, so said the advertising agency would pay. The advertising agency claims they cannot use Paypal because of the amount of money it is for. And now they're going to have a random third party from the U.S. pay, but his English is bad via email and telling me I am "making things difficult" when they try and contact me in the middle of the night.

So I am wondering if any locals know of these people or businesses or addesses:

1) Gary Lesker -

2) Johan Stoppels

L.G. Smith Blvd. 22 Oranjestad, Aruba
    Tel: +297 588 5565
    Fax: +297 588 5554
    Cell: +297 730 6006

3) Michelle J. Hooyboer-Winklaar
    Minister di Asuntonan Economico, Social y Cultura
    De Minister van Economische Zaken, Sociale Zaken en Cultuur
    Minister of Economic Affairs, Social Affairs and Culture
    L.G. Smith Blvd 76
    Oranjestad, Aruba
    Tel: (297) 582-4900

Any help would be appreciated.

Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    I have had direct contact with Michelle Winklaar. She is indeed a Minister of the Aruban Government. I cannot address your question as to the legitimacy of the project. If the amount is large, I suggest you may wish to engage an on island Notary to verify . If you wish to do that, I can give you the name of a firm.

you can contact lawyer
    for all of your aruba tour needs!

Well, is registered to a Gary Lesker of Arizona, and the domain has existed since October of 2004. He is mentioned on

You don't mention how his name is being used -- is he contacting you, or has he just been mentioned in an effort to add legitimacy to the request.

It sounds legitimate on the surface. If you decide to go forward and the client pays by check, don't transfer any property until the check CLEARS. Even if it is a "cashier's check." Ask your bank how long it will be. Another option would be to have them wire the money to your account instead.