Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If you are bringing a laptop you could always use Skype to make your phone calls to the US. And it's free

Quote Originally Posted by onthegolo View Post
    If you are bringing a laptop you could always use Skype to make your phone calls to the US. And it's free
    Skype is only free for SKYPE to SKYPE calls. You can buy a phone number from them where you can use it as a standard phone from your computer!
    Decided to take down my timer!

Thank you to all who have responded to my question! Would love to have the luck of Baltimore Billy and not be charged by Verizon, but my luck says I'd be charged for myself and they'd probably find a way to charge me for his idea too! Seriously, thank you so much. I'm not familiar with Skype, but have heard a lot of hype about it. May need to check it out. Looked at Magic Jack, but it seems to only work if calling someone else who also has it.

Regarding the Fast Phone service, I don't mind paying the nominal per minute fee. I've reserved a phone and have sent an e-mail message to them, actually 4, with the same question because three times they have responded with the same answer....they keep telling me the weekly charge is $50 and includes 84 minutes. I keep asking what is the charge to purchase more minutes, but the same answer always comes back....$50 for the week and includes 84 minutes. Anyone know the answer to this?

Many thanks! I can't wait to get there!

need phone recommendation..need it for 2 weeks, what are the options
    Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    Randi and Andrea, thanks so much for your replies. I wish we would have reserved our phones earlier, because it would have been great to have been able to leave the number with our dog sitter. I did send another email today, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that we hear back tomorrow. I'm glad to know that they'll have phones for us when we get there though.
    The rates are much better with Aruba Fast Phone than price I was quoted at the Marriott. For anyone who's interested, Fast Phones rate is $50/week for 84 mins talk time. Any days over seven is $5/day and less than seven is $8/day. The Marriott is $10/day + $30 for a two-hour sim card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Also, if you need extra minutes, they cost about $15 for an additional hour. Fast phones is located just as you leave the secure area of the airport, just after you go through the doors. Turn right and their red booth is right there. I have been using them for years and they have always had my phone waiting for me

Found this in a previous thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hpe2008 View Post
    Looked at Magic Jack, but it seems to only work if calling someone else who also has it.

Not the case..... Magic Jack is an actual phone service. You plug it into your computer and you get an actual Phone number with it. So anyone who calls that number from any phone your computer will ring. And vice versa, you can call anyone. So while in Aruba any calls you make to the US will be considered a local call to the number that you pick with Magic Jack. And anyone that calls your Magic Jack number will be making a local call if the call is a local call for them.

It is a true VOIP phone service. You could literally use that for your standard home phone.

Last year I got killed using my phone with Verizon service.
    This year renting a Blackberry with free minutes to call US and unlimited internet and text from here:
    arubadiscountcell dot com
    $50 bucks for the week is worth it for me when my hotel charges $10 a day for internet.

Quote Originally Posted by drelo View Post
    Last year I got killed using my phone with Verizon service.
    This year renting a Blackberry with free minutes to call US and unlimited internet and text from here:
    arubadiscountcell dot com
    $50 bucks for the week is worth it for me when my hotel charges $10 a day for internet.
    That looks like a good deal. Just be careful, after 1 week you get hit with $10 a day for the next day then $5 per day after that. But that is a good deal for $50 bucks.

I am always hesitant of deals that look that good, but if it is, spread it around!

I added "international" service to my verizon phone service just for my aruba trip, but i don't have a blackberry or anything. I did end up using my phone a few times but i don't think the bill was horrible when i got back. Maybe 20 or 30 bucks?

If you can get free internet access at your hotel, why not use SKYPE? MY dh uses that ALL the time, we used it in Aruba (my son had a job related meltdown and we had to call him and talk him down) SKYPE to SKYPE is FREE< skype to a land line/cell is 2 cents a minute. YOu just load around $10 or $20 into your skype account and you'll be all set.

At our hotel internet access for 24 hours was like 10 or 15 a day. We *tried* to stay off email, so only got access every few days.

Last year, i arrived in Aruba and when we landed i turned on my BB World Edition 8830.
    I had a simcard put in before i left the U.S.
    When i turned it on, it didnt work. It kept turning off by itself. It would start up, then search for a network then just turn off. I didnt even get a chance to change the setting from CDMA to GSM. It just would not work. No phone service, no emails. Nothing.
    I called the Verizon Intl number that they give you with a simcard, and they told me that i needed to log on to BBerry.com and download and reinstall the Operating System Software. Of course i couldnt because i didnt have a laptop and even if i had access to a computer, i didnt have a cable.
    When i got home, it still didnt work that evening. I called Verizon and they told me i needed to purchase a new one, that it was just not working.
    Just for a goof, i plugged it in that night and charged it overnight (when i left the US for Aruba at the beginining of my trip it was fully charged).
    Low and behold the next mornign i turned it on and it worked NO PROBLEM, like nothing ever happened.
    I dont know what i did wrong, but i am going back to Aruba on Thursday and am very nervous. I cant afford to be unconnected this time as i have my own small business, like the original poster.
    What is strange, is that the sim card was inserted, here, in the U.S. There were no minutes incuded or anytnhing as described in some of the posts on this thread. Just a sim card which i was told by a local dealer (not a verizon store, and independent) i needed to use the World phone overseas.
    Any ideas?

I spoke with Verizonwireless today, as i am leaving Thursday.
    I called twice and both times i was told that because Aruba is on CDMA AND GSM systems, i dont need a sim card. I just had to sign up for global service and thats it. That if i do that (which i did), all i have to do is get off the plane, turn on my BB World Edition, and the device would work fine, email, data, and voice.

I dont trust the answer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast