Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

New Aruba Administration

Hi all,
    I was just wondering what the difference in the administration is since the recent election? I have looked many places for informaton, but haven't really found anything with some good answers. Also, when did the election occur?

Thanks in advance for the information

Have a very Happy New Year everyone! I hope it is healthy, safe, and prosperous for everyone!

Aruba since 1979
    good question
    i hope some of our aruba resident members will give their opinions.
    andrea

From recent conversations with residents, every single person we spoke to is extremely pleased with the new government.

They have already followed through on a good number of campaign promises and there are noticeable changes to residents.

An example being the BBO is being decreased effective the first of the year. I believe it is to 1.5%.

KLM and Carnival cruise lines are returning to the island. The loss of their business under the old government was seen by many on the island involved in tourism as a major disappointment.

Biggest question by many, including the new government, is where did much of the money go which was acquired by the old government. IOW, what did they spend all their money on?

Interesting Election Stats

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    One of things I did notice when we were there 2 weeks ago is that the downtown area has been "cleaned" up. Not that it was bad by any means, by that I mean when we walked past the local huts ( near Paddock) we were usually stopped by many to have the girls hair braided. Not this trip...no one, not one stopped us. I imagine this has 'eatten" into many peoples salaries.
    I hope they are able to make us this loss in other places and other ways.
    I hate to see people lose salaries they counted on.

I too would like to hear what has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    One of things I did notice when we were there 2 weeks ago is that the downtown area has been "cleaned" up. Not that it was bad by any means, by that I mean when we walked past the local huts ( near Paddock) we were usually stopped by many to have the girls hair braided. Not this trip...no one, not one stopped us. I imagine this has 'eatten" into many peoples salaries.
    I hope they are able to make us this loss in other places and other ways.
    I hate to see people lose salaries they counted on.

I too would like to hear what has changed.
    Cindy, funny you would mention the girls that offered to braid hair....when we went to Aruba the very first time the first thing I noticed was how I was not harrassed by folks wanting to braid my hair or get me to buy trinkets I really did not want. It was so awful in Granada that my friend and I went into the water just to keep them away from us....
    I never really had anyone bother me on the island with the braiding thing, but if they were there they were inconspicous enough that I gues it wasn't a bother.....so long story short...hopefully where ever they are they are still able to make money doing it....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Upon our arrival in Aruba on Saturday, December 26, our questions to our taxi driver were about the new government. And the answers were very positive. One important note was that the prior government had signed papers with the Ritz Carlton 3 weeks prior to leaving office giving them the authority to build a hotel next to the Marriott. But the new government announced that anything signed 30 days pior to them taking over was null and void, so I guess that means no Ritz Carlton and I for one am very glad.

Aruba since 1979
    pretty slick huh? trying to sneak that thru?!?!
    if it is null and void i am glad too

~~~ see my happy dance?~~~
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaDolores View Post
    Upon our arrival in Aruba on Saturday, December 26, our questions to our taxi driver were about the new government. And the answers were very positive. One important note was that the prior government had signed papers with the Ritz Carlton 3 weeks prior to leaving office giving them the authority to build a hotel next to the Marriott. But the new government announced that anything signed 30 days pior to them taking over was null and void, so I guess that means no Ritz Carlton and I for one am very glad.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    From recent conversations with residents, every single person we spoke to is extremely pleased with the new government.

They have already followed through on a good number of campaign promises and there are noticeable changes to residents.

An example being the BBO is being decreased effective the first of the year. I believe it is to 1.5%.

KLM and Carnival cruise lines are returning to the island. The loss of their business under the old government was seen by many on the island involved in tourism as a major disappointment.

Biggest question by many, including the new government, is where did much of the money go which was acquired by the old government. IOW, what did they spend all their money on?

Interesting Election Stats
    The return of KLM has absolutely nothing to do with the new government.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    ... the new government.

Quote Originally Posted by Coen View Post
    The return of KLM has absolutely nothing to do with the new government.
    If so, the new government then is already lying and misleading their constituents. As well as taking credit for something they were not involved in.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/carnival-cruise-returns-american-airlines-40491/#post148333

"Carnival Cruise returns/American Airlines
    10 Aug, 2009, 09:05 (GMT -04:00)
    http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_60798.php
    ...During his conversation with AA, Eman was informed that the airline company is considering starting flights again within short. The party-leader also states that AVP intends to negotiate with KLM to induce the Dutch airline company to include Aruba in their flight schedule. ... "

KLM-return not certain
    Written by amigoe.com
    Saturday, 12 December 2009 04:36
    "...This with regard to the conversation which Premier Mike Eman (AVP) and Otmar Oduber (AVP), Minister of Tourism, Labor and Transport had had with Peter Hartman two weeks ago in the Netherlands. “Their visit to the Netherlands had certainly helped, but I cannot confirm the news” according to Besseling."

11 days later...

http://corporate.klm.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/archive-2009/klm-resumes-service-to-aruba
    "KLM resumes service to Aruba
    Amstelveen – 2009-23-12"
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 01-06-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: addtl. info

i love the discussions above! great news about the 'planned' Ritz Carlton hotel - i do hope this is true and there are no loop holes which could actually allow the new 5 star hotel to continue.

Any one have any more info???

thanks again, i love catching up on all the news through this forum......what would i do without it!