Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Smile New Member from UK

Hi there,

I am a new member who is coming to Aruba in May to get married.

I'm looking for some advice for anybody who has been to Aruba from the UK about hair straighteners (GHDs) - do these work in Aruba?

Thanks

Yes, hair straighteners do indeed work, however, not for long.
    There's really no such thing as a good hair day on the island, it's something of a windy sandbar... night after night I watch my Lady prepare and perfect the hair only to have it wonderfully windblown within less than 3 minutes.

Kinda like the Keef Richards-Ronnie Wood look, like it or not.
    You just learn to live with it.

Just over 5 weeks at this point, starting to pack...
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the forum.

from what i have been told apply LOTS of product to your hair and use the flat iron.

aruba amy's hair always looks perfect and i know she uses lots of mouse or spray to keep it looking good
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiroru View Post
    Hi there,

I am a new member who is coming to Aruba in May to get married.

I'm looking for some advice for anybody who has been to Aruba from the UK about hair straighteners (GHDs) - do these work in Aruba?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    welcome to the forum.

from what i have been told apply LOTS of product to your hair and use the flat iron.

aruba amy's hair always looks perfect and i know she uses lots of mouse or spray to keep it looking good
    I've had to experiment with alot of different hairstyles and hair products during my first few trips to Aruba because I always ended up "eating" my hair most of the time and could never see where I was going. LOL!

I've tried alot of hairsprays and some are too sticky. But I've found that Finesse works really well - right amount of hold for the wind but not heavy and sticky. I also put some Aveda gel in my hair when it's wet before I blow it dry.

Can't help you with straighteners since any amount of humidity and wind (and in Aruba there is plenty) is a natural hair straightener for me.

If I were getting married in Aruba, I would definitely do an "up-do" since those seem to look the best (and last the longest) with the Aruba wind.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I posted a similar query on trip advisor as my girlfriend is concerned about not being able to use straighteners.

Someone on there replied to say UK GHD's won't work.

Also that you need dual voltage straighteners or a voltage converter.

I am hairdresser and I can successfully straighten my hair, but over the years of going there I don't see fighting it anymore. My advice is if its a strong curl don't bother it will still curl, if its not so curly go for it but be aware that it might friz alittle. I just wouldn't bother with it every day. The sun already does a number on it.

Quote Originally Posted by aaruck View Post
    I posted a similar query on trip advisor as my girlfriend is concerned about not being able to use straighteners.

Someone on there replied to say UK GHD's won't work.

Also that you need dual voltage straighteners or a voltage converter.
    Aruba's electrical current is 110-120 volts AC (60 cycle), the same as the United States.

Europeans would need a converter.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsun View Post
    I am hairdresser and I can successfully straighten my hair, but over the years of going there I don't see fighting it anymore. My advice is if its a strong curl don't bother it will still curl, if its not so curly go for it but be aware that it might friz alittle. I just wouldn't bother with it every day. The sun already does a number on it.

With humidity averaging well over 70%, imo, luvsun gives excellent advice.

My dd in my avatar has naturally curly hair, it would take an hour each night to straighten her hair.

I know she would rather spend the time out and about enjoying herself knowing that in a few hours she will right back where she started from. Most of the time she keeps her hair pulled back to keep the hair out of her face. With the wind, it can be brutal.

Obviously, your question has been answered; with a lot of additional information added by what you now know are the most friendly forum members that one can ask to respond.

May I add my welcome and sincere congratulations on your upcoming wedding and can assure you that you will find Aruba the "Paradise," and "One Happy Island," that each of us have enjoyed over the years.

Again, Congratulations.

Ed