Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Timeshare Beach Chair Taxes?

New Timeshare Beach Chair Taxes?

I have been hearing a lot of feedback regarding implementation of taxes on beach chairs or purchasing a license from the Aruban government for the chairs staying overnight on the beach seeing every beach in Aruba is allowed public access. Any dialogue on this folks?

Interesting.... Can't wait to hear some information....
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    From what i have heard it is being discussed within the government and with certain hotel/timeshare/tourist groups. (i think AHATA and the ATA being 2 of them)
    I have no idea if it will ever come to being implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyt View Post
    I have been hearing a lot of feedback regarding implementation of taxes on beach chairs or purchasing a license from the Aruban government for the chairs staying overnight on the beach seeing every beach in Aruba is allowed public access. Any dialogue on this folks?

I read it would be based on square footage and not number of chairs, but time will tell
    It would be a way for the Government to tax the money made from hotels who charge to "rent" the space under a palapa.

Where's the outrage folks? Yet another Fee......

In my Oct. 17 post on this thread I answered these questions, reporting that the government has already reassessed the way it wants to calculate the rate, dropping the estimated space per square meter per chair from 4 to 3. So the original $180,000,00 ANNUAL beach chair license fee for Costa Linda would be reduced by about one quarter. The government-imposed charge ( which we would collect for one unit per week) would have worked out to something like $22-24. The revised invoice would probably carry with it a weekly cost per unit(week) of some $16-18. This would be collected as the other government fees at check in. However, this fee does not include the wear and tear replacement costs, nor does it include purchase and maintenance of equipment needed to move and store the chairs. We are taking it one step at a time here. If the requirement to move and store chairs daily stands, we’ll need to factor in those costs as well.

We have not yet received the revised invoice; in the meantime -- and even if and when we do -- we will carry on as as we always have before we received notice of this fee and the new rules. We have not accepted the revised fee because we have filed a formal objection to the license requirement itself, based on past practice and other arguments outlined in that Oct. 17 post. it is my understanding that most other hotels and timeshre resorts are doing the same.

If we are not successful at having the new license reg requirement withdrawn, we will continue to formally object to even the reduced cost and some of the rules as they apply to moving and storing our beach lounges and chairs.

If the government insists we begin complying before all these issues are resolved, we’ll assess the consequences of not doing so; we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. Our goal would be to work out a reasonable solution to our particular dilemma with government officials.

It seems to me that every resort and time share will have to suffer the consequences of the actions of a few. I am referencing places like the Marriott Surf Club who seem to jam as many chairs as they can onto the beach and really take away from the natural beauty, and places like Hyatt and Hilton who charge significant sums to rent the space under the public palapas for their chairs. It does seem some of these places have taken it to the extreme so that the government feels the need to step in. We are used to renting chairs daily at some of the other places we visit. We don't like it, but it's just how it is, its factored in to our cost. I feel.bad for those who don't spend much time using the beach chairs. That extra fee does nothing for them, well except that it does make their timeshare more attractive, helping with occupancy.
    I guess what I'm rambling on about is that I may not like the any new tax, but it's a small price to pay to enjoy Aruba. And we are visitors, if the government and people of Aruba feel this will benefit their country, who am I to question their judgement?

Aruba since 1979
    sorry, but there is no October 17 posting about this.

are you possibly confusing this thread with another on an a different site?

Where's the outrage folks? Yet another Fee......

In my Oct. 17 post on this thread I answered these questions, reporting that the government has already reassessed the way it wants to calculate the rate, dropping the estimated space per square meter per chair from 4 to 3. So the original $180,000,00 ANNUAL beach chair license fee for Costa Linda would be reduced by about one quarter. The government-imposed charge ( which we would collect for one unit per week) would have worked out to something like $22-24. The revised invoice would probably carry with it a weekly cost per unit(week) of some $16-18. This would be collected as the other government fees at check in. However, this fee does not include the wear and tear replacement costs, nor does it include purchase and maintenance of equipment needed to move and store the chairs. We are taking it one step at a time here. If the requirement to move and store chairs daily stands, we’ll need to factor in those costs as well.

We have not yet received the revised invoice; in the meantime -- and even if and when we do -- we will carry on as as we always have before we received notice of this fee and the new rules. We have not accepted the revised fee because we have filed a formal objection to the license requirement itself, based on past practice and other arguments outlined in that Oct. 17 post. it is my understanding that most other hotels and timeshre resorts are doing the same.

If we are not successful at having the new license reg requirement withdrawn, we will continue to formally object to even the reduced cost and some of the rules as they apply to moving and storing our beach lounges and chairs.

If the government insists we begin complying before all these issues are resolved, we’ll assess the consequences of not doing so; we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. Our goal would be to work out a reasonable solution to our particular dilemma with government officials.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    sorry, but there is no October 17 posting about this.

are you possibly confusing this thread with another on an a different site?
    Andrea, maybe this is a cut and paste of someone else ranting a la Rona. Not sure how I feel about this issue personally, guess I'll wait and see how it affects me.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Andrea, maybe this is a cut and paste of someone else ranting a la Rona. Not sure how I feel about this issue personally, guess I'll wait and see how it affects me.
    Maybe. I agree with you Walt...let's see how (IF) it affects me.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Possibly is someone quoting a "rant"

i wish folks ills could be a bit more transparent and also site sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Maybe. I agree with you Walt...let's see how (IF) it affects me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast