Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: NO Public Washrooms in Aruba beaches WHY NOT?

NO Public Washrooms in Aruba beaches WHY NOT?

After having a wonderful trip to Aruba last week , my question is WHY they don't have any public bathrooms on the beaches?

I know there are plans to add them to some beaches but here is my opinion on why they don't have them. This is just my opinion and not based on any facts or sources. Water is expensive to produce in Aruba, and a restroom not only requires water, but then a network of sewer pipes to send away the wastewater to be treated. Restroom facilities and the infrastructure to run them properly is expensive. So installing restrooms is a good odea, but who is going to pay for the operations and maintenance? My guess is that woukd be us through taxes and other fees on hotels and other tourist revenue streams.
    It's a small island, locals are never very far from home and have lived their lives without public restrooms for this long so I'm sure they won't want to pay for it.

With these new restrooms that Andrea mentioned that are not yet open, I would not be surprised to see them as pay per use type facilities. I am also an advocate of having attendants or monitors at these facilities just to discourage people from being gross.
    I support a pay per use system.

I work in the water and wastewater industry so I understand the cost and infrastructure needed for what most people just see as a convenient bathroom.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Great answer Tracey. I would have to agree that is likely the why.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

P n d c

Didn't they used to have a pay for bath room outside the entrance of Bugalu? I remember people used to complain that Bugalu did not have a bathroom and they had to exit their pier and straight down use a public pay for bathroom. I remember i paid 50 cents or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Didn't they used to have a pay for bath room outside the entrance of Bugalu? I remember people used to complain that Bugalu did not have a bathroom and they had to exit their pier and straight down use a public pay for bathroom. I remember i paid 50 cents or so.
    Yes, when we were there in December it was still that way. It's much nicer than the marine style bathroom on Pelican Pier.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

That sweet little lady keeps that bathroom as spotless as possible! The "dealers" hanging around outside, i could do without though. And I'm not talking about the blackjack dealers.

It was there in April as well. In my 17 trips I have been only desperate enough one time to pay to pee, lol. That said it was clean and worth the buck or whatever it was.

Funny you mentioned "dealers". On my last trip I went to Bugalu for lunch around 2pm and on my way out one of the dealers next to the bathroom said to me "You were looking for me right?" He was a tall man with Dreadlocks with a Jamaican accent. I said I don't think so and kept walking. Which is why I never felt comfortable going to Bugalu during the evening on account of having to walk that long isolated block back to the main street.

I was going to the "dealer bathroom" last June and he whispered to me, "Hey, you wanna purchase anyting mon?" I said no and kept walking. He whispered, "Yah now mon, drugs r legal n Aruba?" And i followed up with, then why are you whispering? He about fell down laughing! True story! I tell it every time i talk about Aruba!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast