Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jacki

Thread: NYE Firecracker tradition

NYE Firecracker tradition

We just returned home to the U.S. after a beautiful stay in Aruba. Ten of us stayed in a very nice house in the neighborhood of Ponton. The only problem came on New Year's Eve/New Year's Day and I am curious if any of you have experienced this. Leading up to NYE many Arubians commented that we would randomly hear firecrackers (the rockets and "crackers" that people set off on the ground)- and we certainly did. Also, we had views of beautiful fireworks several times throughout the week. On NYE, it was constant. For example, we were at Moomba Beach in the afternoon and someone set off a full 3 minutes worth outside the Jolly Pirates registration desk. During a crowded party at Palm Beach someone set off a set near the party. All of this was just noisy/smokey/annoying until I returned home at 2am to Ponton. The neighbors were still setting off constant firecrackers until 4:30 am. They were so close to our house that the remnants of the crackers were littering our lawn and pool and drive way. My parents had stayed in to babysit my children and were too concerned about accidental fires to sleep. If this had happened at home - noise too late or setting off firecrackers too close to my house - I simply would have walked over to my neighbors and asked them to "cool it." But that didn't seem an option in this instance. My questions - were the firecrackers this constant and late all over the island? Neighborhoods and hotel areas? What time did it die down where you were?

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    It's a tradition in Aruba, to rid their homes of fuku
    i believe you will offend people if you had asked them to cool it
    We are still here and it continues near Surf Club
    While downtown it was constant in all back neighborhoods
    im guessing you probably will rethink rentals?

hope you enjoyed your vacation none the less😀

The island was going nuts till about 2am and I was then able to sleep....I was at the Hyatt though...

Sorry you were annoyed by it. It is another one of those Aruban cultural things I would love to experience some day
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    the firecrackers "paragara" begin a few days after christmas and continue sometimes a few days after new years

it is a cultural and traditional thing for aruba.
    the firecrackers are said to scare away evil and welcome the new year

it is loud indeed.

our first experience with the paragara..........many years ago, we thought there was a coup de'teat happening. it was a bit unnerving.

sorry that your family was kept awake by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Family2Aruba View Post
    We just returned home to the U.S. after a beautiful stay in Aruba. Ten of us stayed in a very nice house in the neighborhood of Ponton. The only problem came on New Year's Eve/New Year's Day and I am curious if any of you have experienced this. Leading up to NYE many Arubians commented that we would randomly hear firecrackers (the rockets and "crackers" that people set off on the ground)- and we certainly did. Also, we had views of beautiful fireworks several times throughout the week. On NYE, it was constant. For example, we were at Moomba Beach in the afternoon and someone set off a full 3 minutes worth outside the Jolly Pirates registration desk. During a crowded party at Palm Beach someone set off a set near the party. All of this was just noisy/smokey/annoying until I returned home at 2am to Ponton. The neighbors were still setting off constant firecrackers until 4:30 am. They were so close to our house that the remnants of the crackers were littering our lawn and pool and drive way. My parents had stayed in to babysit my children and were too concerned about accidental fires to sleep. If this had happened at home - noise too late or setting off firecrackers too close to my house - I simply would have walked over to my neighbors and asked them to "cool it." But that didn't seem an option in this instance. My questions - were the firecrackers this constant and late all over the island? Neighborhoods and hotel areas? What time did it die down where you were?

Thank you, All, for the replies. We had a wonderful trip to Aruba and I want to return again, especially over the holidays. I think that Andrea J put it best - the noises were "unnerving." Gratefully, we had a heads up. Perhaps next time it won't be as unnerving - and my children will be older and less scared by it. I hate to give up house rentals because they work well for my large family. Does anyone know if Noord and other neighborhoods would be the same? Just checking. The manager of the house commented that Noord is much quieter neighborhood than Ponton, but I don't know if that applies to NYE traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Family2Aruba View Post
    Does anyone know if Noord and other neighborhoods would be the same? Just checking. The manager of the house commented that Noord is much quieter neighborhood than Ponton, but I don't know if that applies to NYE traditions.
    Our neighbour (we're in Noord right now) said it was bonkers NYE. And we still hear the occasional explosion (it's Jan 3rd). But I'm pretty sure you wouldn't hear all that much in Gold Coast or Tierra Del Sol if you rented up there.

We met a very nice couple while staying at Palma Real this past December. They were staying on the island for six months, lucky stiffs, but were leaving for a couple of weeks, flying out to Florida. I asked if they were going home for Christmas and they said no, just getting off the island so they could get some sleep. Now me, thinking this was strange, just had to dig deeper, so I said "what do you mean"? They proceeded to tell us that the island is nuts this time of year and that and that it's impossible to sleep with all of the fireworks going off. Having never been to the island during that time of the year we're thinking these two are nuts, leaving paradise and a rental they've already paid for another rental in Florida to avoid a few fireworks! Now we're starting to get the picture... but I don't think we'd go to that extreme. Perhaps an extra nightcap and ear plugs maybe...
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

The Gold Coast Area is not a big local spot and would be much quieter for sure.

We are in Noord. When outside we hear them. Our Villa has double thermopane windows and when we inside hear very little of the outside cacophony