Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ocean water

Aruba since 1979
    i think that lisa posted one of her photos from her archives and this is not a today photo.

that being said, there were numerous times in the summer when the surf was so high (just like the photo) where one could not go swimming at that beach.

not only "could be mother nature, but ABSOLUTELY mother nature"

Quote Originally Posted by TomFrederick View Post
    >>> "Any particular reason that the ocean was rough in the Divi Beach area?"
    ----- Could be Mother Nature! In that area and up to Eagle Beach over the years the beaches come and go due to rough currents. But spring is here and summer is coming. Usually the weather calms done now so the beaches should be better till mabe next winter.
    In June usually you won't see those large waves like above. Could be a storm.

Did anyone by chance see the live cam the weekend of the so-called "Super Moon"? There was a noticeable difference in the waves coming in, needless to say because it was high tide *full moon* but I don't recall seeing anything of the size that I saw that eve/weekend. Big to say the least.
    And there have been times in recent years that the water came right up and over the boardwalk into the rooms on the ground floor at the Tamarijn, so, we can rest easy in the idea that Mother Nature is indeed a wonderful thing to behold, but can from time to time shake us back to reality, be it with a rumble or a splash.

Enjoy the beaches... the Lady and I will be there soon enough.

Five days so says the counter.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

I was watching the Bucuti cam during the "Super Moon" and the waves did seem much bigger.

We also just returned from the Divi - the waves most days were huge. We got knocked around a lot. My daughter got hit by a wave so hard that her snorkel mask got knocked off and it was lost at sea. Also it was windier than usual. The beach was not pleasant at times - the wind whipped the sand so hard it felt like needles on the skin and we got a lot of sand in our eyes.

I am planning on a full trip report in the next couple of days.
    katherine

Trip #14 in

The photo I posted earlier was December 2009, following a day of calm. We have seen waves in winter as well as summer. Waves are caused by currents and weather patterns such as low pressure systems and storm fronts and have have nothing to do with full moon or super moons. Higher tides are caused by full moons, but high tides are not the result of larger waves.

Winds in Aruba today from 10 am to 2 pm ranged between 28 and 29 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post
    We also just returned from the Divi - the waves most days were huge. We got knocked around a lot. My daughter got hit by a wave so hard that her snorkel mask got knocked off and it was lost at sea. Also it was windier than usual. The beach was not pleasant at times - the wind whipped the sand so hard it felt like needles on the skin and we got a lot of sand in our eyes.

I am planning on a full trip report in the next couple of days.
    Hi Katherine - I looked around for you but never saw you. It was pretty crowded at the Divi this year. I'm working on my trip report now too!! I got hit pretty hard by a wave. Knocked me right over. A very nice lady from Arkansas came to my rescue. I was very careful after that episode!! Looking forward to reading your report!!

Your photo totally captures what it was like this week. Got home last night April 5th.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12