Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Old-Timer Gone

Old-Timer Gone

This morning I learned that the old fellow who used to sit by the BSL laundry in San Nicolaas and "watch" the cars for people there, passed away two days ago. I used to call him "pops" with great affection. He was the only guy I would ever give a few florins even though I was never worried about my car. He showed me his identification a while back, indicating his was 90 years old. He told me he was originally from Cuba. Unfortunately, I didn't learn more about his life the last few visits.

At any rate, it is with great sadness that I report his passing. He was a character, like so many I've met in that little town. God rest his soul.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

WE are unfortunate to not have met him. It is good that even the few memories of him that you have were good ones. I certainly hope that he "RIP.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    This morning I learned that the old fellow who used to sit by the BSL laundry in San Nicolaas and "watch" the cars for people there, passed away two days ago. I used to call him "pops" with great affection. He was the only guy I would ever give a few florins even though I was never worried about my car. He showed me his identification a while back, indicating his was 90 years old. He told me he was originally from Cuba. Unfortunately, I didn't learn more about his life the last few visits.

At any rate, it is with great sadness that I report his passing. He was a character, like so many I've met in that little town. God rest his soul.

We used to tip a small (real small like 5") guy named Manuel to "watch our car" outside of Charlie's Bar. He only spoke Spanish and since my Spanish is kind of limited all I could ever learn from him was that his name was Perdo and he was fine. I wonder if this was the same guy.
    Last edited by jeffnev; 07-04-2012 at 08:21 PM.

I also gave him a few coins. He reminded me of one the characters in Daniel's Book.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada