Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: One Happy Podcast

At our first stay at the Surf Club after we checked in we went out for some drinks. When we came back, we could not find our room! We walked around for a while and finally had to ask someone to help us. We were confused by the building numbers in front of the room numbers. I can only imagine what the kind lady who helped us was thinking!

I know what you mean Tracey, when I was trying to locate my room the exhaustion was starting to kick in which was causing me to loose my focus, I tried to sleep on the flight from Trinidad to Curacao but that was not possible and during my time in Hato waiting for my flight my reserves had kicked in while waiting for the flight to arrive. All I wanted to do was find my room, get inside, crawl into bed and knock out before it was too late. Was really surprised that I still took the time to change out of my clothes, brush my teeth, take a long drink of water and briefly channel surf the cable lineup before finally falling asleep.

The college I attended in the U.S.(Rochester NY) was a relatively small school where I did not felt like an individual and not just a number. During my previous stays at CPV and La Cabana the staff and even fellow guests made the effort to know something about me and where I was from. At the Surf club there were several staff members who recognized and remembered me from out interactions, which was cool. Among the guests, there was only one couple that I made a connection with. At LCBRC back in September 2014 when I still had the bandage on my ankle from the hospital I met a couple in the elevator who inquired about my injury, turns out the wife was a retired nurse and she gave me a lot of good advice on how to keep my ankle elevated while sleeping and which rubs and ointments to use to aid in the healing. Then the conversation switched over other topics such as how I wound up visiting Aruba, what made me pick to go to college in Upstate NY, would I prefer to live on Aruba or T&T etc. You can only get that sort of conversation with strangers at resorts which are small and not so huge.

The one other thing which stood out about the Surf Club staff, well one young lady in particular. I went to the front desk to pay my bill for breakfast and the young lady who attended to me began to speak to me in Papiamentu. I responded , "Sorry ami papia so un poko papiamentu." Translation, "Sorry I speak only a little Papiamentu." Without loosing a beat she replied in English, "You're English? You're not from Aruba? I could have sworn that you're Aruban!! You look Aruban!!" That made me blush( which I really hate to do), I mentioned that I was trying to learn the language and she complimented me on my pronunciations and even recommended a book available at one of the local book stores that I could purchase to help me learn the language even faster.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    I never realized how large those properties were until the first time I went to see Aruba Ray's Comedy. We walked from the Bugaloe up to the Stellaris on the beach side. When we got to the first Marriott property we started to walk though the actual buildings. Little did I know how far we had to go, once we were inside. The Marriott must take up half of Palm Beach or so it seems.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Aruba since 1979
    very expansive.....hence the term "marriottville" (and "diviville")

If they were any bigger they would be their own country

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Here is another one some of you may not have heard with another forum member, Mizzou. This was recorded at a bulletin board meetup back in September. http://onehappypodcast.com/ep67/ If you haven't been to one of the bulletin board meetups you really should try to go. I didn't think I would like them but from now on I'll try to make them every time I'm on the island.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

New episode - Resorts and Restaurants

I had the pleasure of joining Aruba Curt (aka burghboy) on another episode of One Happy Podcast.
    Here is the link
    http://onehappypodcast.com/ep74/

Great episode Tracy. It's given me a lot more to think about for my next trip, as a friend of my from NY and his wife will be meeting me on Aruba in September. His brother went to Aruba a few years back and did not enjoy himself, while his wife's sister went there on her honeymoon and absolutely loved it. They are looking at staying at the Holiday Inn, which should be a good fit for them as it's within walking distance of a lot of the bars and restaurants in the high rise area. Hoping to stay at either the Marriot Ocean/Surf Club or my all time favorite in the low rise area La Cabana.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12