Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pack liquor or buy?

Pack liquor or buy?

10th trip to Aruba - and I am totally forgetting what we have done in the past (5 years since our last trip!) - bringing some of our alcohol or buy it down there. Can we buy it once we land in the airport at Duty Free for a good price?

Another one - is Ling and Sons still the best grocery store or is there something of the same quality now close to the Marriott Surf?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by JRTx2 View Post
    10th trip to Aruba - and I am totally forgetting what we have done in the past (5 years since our last trip!) - bringing some of our alcohol or buy it down there. Can we buy it once we land in the airport at Duty Free for a good price?

Another one - is Ling and Sons still the best grocery store or is there something of the same quality now close to the Marriott Surf?

TIA
    There's duty free available as you exit the airport at Queen Beatrix - in the international terminal anyway (not sure about the US terminal).

Super Food is comparable to Lings and closer to the Marriott.

The cheapest liquor is at Price Smart but the duty free is a close second.

We usually bring a couple of bottles of booze with us and pick up some at the duty free when we land. Super Food is closer to Surf Club (on the same road as Surf towards Oranjestad) and has a nice selection of liquor, but maybe not as extensive as Ling's. As far as food goes, we prefer the selection at Super Food over Ling's and the others. There is also a nice fish market on the side of the Super Food building with some pretty good deals.

Yup - what they said

I usually buy at duty free and Ling's or Super Food.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    we buy at duty free and bring some from home.
    this past particular trip we bought some malibu and some baileys at the duty free in the airport's luggage arrival area.
    the prices were pretty good, i cannot remember that the baileys was but the malibu was $13 or $14.

the liquor we brought from home was kahlua.
    our liquor cabinet at homeis pretty full from other duty free purchases...and we barely drink it....
    at home we are sometimes wine with dinner kinda people and tend to forget about the other stuff in the cabinet
    so, we wrapped a bottle generously with bubble wrap and it went into our checked luggage.

many folks from the hi rise area use Super Foods (as others have recommended). it is about 2 miles or so north of lings.

I usually buy my liquor in the local chinese stores. As well as some other groceries, they are cheaper than the big ones.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    A combo of the two for me, usually depends on what special they are running at my local liquor store and how much room I have in my luggage.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Are there any restrictions on bringing liquor in your checked bags as far as quantity or packaging? I enjoy bourbon and was thinking of bringing a bottle (750 ml) or two down just to keep in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaTarheel View Post
    Are there any restrictions on bringing liquor in your checked bags as far as quantity or packaging? I enjoy bourbon and was thinking of bringing a bottle (750 ml) or two down just to keep in the room.
    This thread has the info you need - yes, there are restrictions:

"Duty Fees"

Aruba since 1979
    they charge duty (if they find them) on more than 1 litre. (i think that is the amnt)

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/AW-A...ns-details.htm

we have brought rum and vodka and baileys many different times, wrapped in bubble wrap in our checked bag and have never been issued "duty" as they did not know it was there.

they did not ask, we did not tell.

welcome to the aruba.com community forum!

we have brought
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaTarheel View Post
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 05-27-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast