Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pack liquor or buy?

Aruba since 1979
    thanks S

the thread is kind of old, i wonder if they have updated the "bringing in rules" ?
    to my knowledge, they are the same...but i have been wrong once or twice

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    This thread has the info you need - yes, there are restrictions:

"Duty Fees"

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    has anyone found if there's a difference in duty free liquor at home airport (usa) as opposed to Aruba's duty free? I ask because if its comparable in price, why lug it from Newark Airport when I can get it once I land in Aruba. If the prices are comparable, even a few dollars difference, then its probably easier to wait til Aruba and just get it. Has anyone noticed the differences?

Aruba since 1979
    i have not noticed the difference in pricing.
    my husband says that he thinks the duty free in aruba at the luggage area is a little more costly than at usa departures in the usa.

i have found that main difference is , less selection.

i have no problem with the less selection as aruba duty free has what i need, but others have said they have been disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    has anyone found if there's a difference in duty free liquor at home airport (usa) as opposed to Aruba's duty free? I ask because if its comparable in price, why lug it from Newark Airport when I can get it once I land in Aruba. If the prices are comparable, even a few dollars difference, then its probably easier to wait til Aruba and just get it. Has anyone noticed the differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i have not noticed the difference in pricing.
    my husband says that he thinks the duty free in aruba at the luggage area is a little more costly than at usa departures in the usa.

i have found that main difference is , less selection.

i have no problem with the less selection as aruba duty free has what i need, but others have said they have been disappointed.
    I think it costs a bit more in Aruba depending where you're flying out of, but I'm the same way, I find what I need every time at duty free in Aruba. To me it's easier than lugging it on the plane and finding a place in the overhead for it. We still pack a few bottles and take our chances and so far we've been lucky. Now I'm not advocating breaking the law, but if they catch it and I have to pay duty then lesson learned. I prominently display my duty free purchase in hopes of distraction. I know, I'm terrible...

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    all i need is tequila and rum to make margaritas and pina coladas. it doesn't have to be patron tequila, especially when mixing. so i think i'm just getting it in aruba. the thought of lugging liquor on to the plane in Newark and off the plane in Aruba, etc., doesn't seem worth it. If the cost is a small difference, then my convenience is worth the difference. thanks everyone.....9 more weeks..............

We travel very light and always buy. Usually grab a few bottles of wine an liquor, along with beer at Price Smart right after we get our rental car at the airport.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    Questions: I have two plastic flasks, .750 liters, will it be a problem if the booze is in there and not the original bottles?

Also, do they sell cheap alcohol and smokes after you get off the plane, I remember seeing a store buy baggage pick-up?

I don't think they sell cigarettes in the duty free store by baggage claim - I'm pretty sure it's only liquor.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    yes to cigarettes.
    we picked up 2 cartons for a friend who lives on the island.
    i think $30 or 40 per carton.

the problem with bringing booze in your checked bag is that aruba customs couldcharge you duty if they happen to find it.
    that being said, we have brought booze from home numerous times, all wrapped in bubble wrap in their original bottles and paid no extra duty.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaveTheKidsWithMom View Post
    Questions: I have two plastic flasks, .750 liters, will it be a problem if the booze is in there and not the original bottles?

Also, do they sell cheap alcohol and smokes after you get off the plane, I remember seeing a store buy baggage pick-up?

Quote Originally Posted by LeaveTheKidsWithMom View Post
    The only problem I could see with that is the TSA screening your bags and seeing a liquid in an unmarked bottle/flask and not knowing the origin. You know how anal they can get. We take glass bottles all the time, some bubble wrap and a couple of tank tops make excellent packing material.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast