Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Packing

We are only going for 5 nights. I haven't started packing yet (15 days left), although I keep thinking that I should, but I keep getting overwhelmed about it. lol Not sure why, but I just hate making packing decisions. I mean what if it's cold, raining, I don't like the way the outfit looks when I put it on, how many bathing suits are too many?...I mean I could go on all day with this. haha Oh, and we are staying at an airport hotel the night before our flight so I keep thinking that I should pack a separate bag just for that night and we can throw it in the car before heading to the airport so we don't have to take extra dirty clothes along. ahhhh!

Anyone have a standard outfit regimen? How many outfits a day do you wear?

Quote Originally Posted by brph26 View Post
    I mean what if it's cold, raining
    In Aruba or at home? If at home, dress in layers and leave them in the car when you park it.
    I usually bring a light sweater in case the air conditioning is too much in one of the restaurants.
    In December, most if not all of our dinners will be outdoors. If I even take a sweater it would be to wear on the plane.

Oh, and we are staying at an airport hotel the night before our flight so I keep thinking that I should pack a separate bag just for that night and we can throw it in the car before heading to the airport so we don't have to take extra dirty clothes along. ahhhh!
    DEFINITELY separate bag and leave it in the car. Just save room for the toiletry bag in your suitcase or carry-on. Are you even taking a suitcase or just a carry-on?

Anyone have a standard outfit regimen? How many outfits a day do you wear?
    I am down to one pair of shorts with a matching shirt in case we drive around the island one day and an outfit to wear on the plane home.
    The rest of our days are spent on the beach so I bring 4 bathing suits for 12 nights and as many cover ups as I own. Sundresses for at night.

Shoes? Sneakers worn on the plane because they are the heaviest and most comfortable for walking Hartsfield. One pair of shoes for the beach and one pair of sandals for night time to go with my sundresses, so three total.

Aruba is easy....we stay anywhere from 10-14 days on most trips. I pack 5-6 swimsuits, one cover-up, 3 pairs of shorts and 4 t-shirts/tank tops, two sundresses, a couple pairs of lightweight gauze pants, 5-6 dressy tops, and one skort. Shoes = sneakers (worn on the plane), one pair of beach flip flops, 2 pairs of high heel dressy sandals, and one casual pair of sandals. Only pack one small purse in my carry-on bag (only thing that fits in my purse is my small camera, money, room key, and lipstick - LOL!) Like Lisa, we're usually in our swimsuits most of the day and the nice outfits for dinner are only worn a few hours and go right back on the hanger once we're back in the room. All of this plus my hanging toiletry bag fits in one piece of checked luggage (usually weights about 48 pounds.) I also have a carry-on that fits under the seat in front of me - that's packed with traveling essentials, jewelry, camera, phone, Netbook, and a set of shorts and swimsuit in case I don't see my luggage for a day.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Amy I seem to take far too much even though it is Aruba. Shorts and tops for day plus beach dresses. Dresses for evenings and of course shoes shoes shoes
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 08-26-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    I also have a carry-on that fits under the seat in front of me - that's packed with traveling essentials, jewelry, camera, phone, Netbook, and a set of shorts and swimsuit in case I don't see my luggage for a day.
    Amy, if memory serves me correctly, you like I, use a tote bag for under the seat?

Day to day I just carry a small purse with my wallet, aspirin, lip balm, razor thin cell phone and keys. For our trip, the stuff (cell is left at home) instead goes into a cosmetic bag (keeps it all together and easy to find) and then that goes into the tote. Dh is in charge of carrying the family's passports, boarding passes and hotel confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    With embarrassment I admit to bringing at least 5 handbags hahaha.
    I am fortunate to have no need for a purse in Aruba. The only thing I bring to dinner is lip balm. Dh kindly carries that for me if my dress does not have a pocket. He also gets to carry the credit card, cash and room key. My camera is too large for a bag so I just tote it around by the strap.

I have evolved over the years from a huge suitcase with 5 pairs of shoes, nice dresses, a few pairs of shorts and some swimsuits to now taking carry on only containing more t-shirts and shorts with swimsuits and a sundress or two.

I wash clothes after one week to clothe us the next week. We change resorts so it is not like we have to run around in the same thing in front of the same people all vacation. Even after downsizing I still have a few things I don't wear every trip.

This year I will be checking a bag because I have a folding beach mat I want to bring so I can get to the less populated beaches without renting a chair.

Not packing yet until next July, wish i was going tomorrow. When i pack its sundress for at night and shorts and bathing suits and of course a sweatshirt to wear home on the plane. very simple. I never make a big deal about. Ya right.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum stenogirl
    Quote Originally Posted by stenogal View Post
    Not packing yet until next July, wish i was going tomorrow. When i pack its sundress for at night and shorts and bathing suits and of course a sweatshirt to wear home on the plane. very simple. I never make a big deal about. Ya right.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Amy, if memory serves me correctly, you like I, use a tote bag for under the seat?

Yes, I just have a large heavy-duty (it can stand the weight of a dozen wine bottles), black tote bag that fits under the seat perfectly. I don't like to mess with the overhead bins and I like my "important stuff" where I can see it.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Amy I do exactly the same have the bag near my feet.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I just came across this older website (from 1999), it has a section "What to pack for Aruba". I think there is still some useful advice:

http://pattimack.tripod.com/Packing.htm

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast