Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By rpumpire
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Packing

Packing

One more question for you regulars

I saw a thread on here a while back that mentioned a packing list and suggested a collapsible cooler - I never would have thought of packing that but it obviously makes a lot of sense for beach days or day trips!
    Got me wondering what else would you not normally pack but might need while staying there.
    We are staying at La Cabana with the 2 kids (7 and 4) and have a kitchen.
    Do you pack shovels and pails or are they $ store items down there too?
    Do you pack dishsoap or any other kitchen items? Coffee? Sugar?
    Do you pack ice packs or rely on ice to keep cooler cold?
    While I was planning to do a little grocery shopping there - is it way cheaper to bring snacks like granola bars, crackers, etc. or buy there?
    Any other things that might seem obvious but you might not otherwise think to pack?

Thanks!

Aruba since 1979
    we always have with us a soft sided collapasable cooler. (Sams club has them)
    we can fit inside a few water bottles, ice packs or bagged ice, fruit and also sun block, and other stuff.

re: your questions...

if you have room in your luggage for a few shovels, pails, beach toys, indeed bring along.
    if not there are stores that carry beach toys. (certified mall about a mile and half from lacabana)
    no dish soap is necessary -lacabana supplies dish soap, hand soap, shower gel and shampoo.
    if you plan on using the dishwasher there, bring a couple of cascade pods.
    we bring ice packs...my husband has disc problems in his back and we always have ice packs, but lacabana has a few ice machines near the elevators!
    if you have room in your luggage bring as many munchy snacks as you want. yes, the groceries there are well stocked, but sometimes you may be out of luck with your favorite brand.

addendum........bring some empty water bottles from home. fill with aruba's tap water and chill and bring to beach!
    aruba's water is great.

here are some tagged packing threads http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=607096
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojibwa518 View Post
    One more question for you regulars

I saw a thread on here a while back that mentioned a packing list and suggested a collapsible cooler - I never would have thought of packing that but it obviously makes a lot of sense for beach days or day trips!
    Got me wondering what else would you not normally pack but might need while staying there.
    We are staying at La Cabana with the 2 kids (7 and 4) and have a kitchen.
    Do you pack dishsoap or any other kitchen items? Coffee? Sugar?
    Do you pack ice packs or rely on ice to keep cooler cold?
    While I was planning to do a little grocery shopping there - is it way cheaper to bring snacks like granola bars, crackers, etc. or buy there?
    Any other things that might seem obvious but you might not otherwise think to pack?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 07-28-2014 at 08:40 AM.

One thing most folks don't think of, but comes in very handy in this age of multiple electronic devices, is to pack a six-outlet electrical strip. Available outlets in hotel and resort room are usually pretty limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Ojibwa518 View Post
    I can tell you first hand that buying shovels and pails while in Aruba is very expensive. When I saw the price I refused to buy them. What we do is buy them at home and pack in luggage but before leaving to go home we pass them off to another family and then hopefully they do the same. We've had other families give us theirs as well.

For some reason Andrea's link doesn't work. Perhaps this will http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/packing.html

Aruba since 1979
    thx lisa

Thanks!! What a great and thorough list too!

My husband used our cooler as his carry-on. There are some coolers out there that look nicer than the carry on luggage I have!

After four trips down and renting villas each trip, we ALWAYS bring a knife sharpener - the kitchen/chef knives are always dull and that makes them dangerous to use. We have an indispensable handheld one that gets the knives sharp enough to cut vegetables, cheese etc.

We also pack a medium sized non-stick fry pan and non-stick spatula. The pots and pans tend to be cheap and well-worn. We mostly use the barbecue but mornings tend to be eggs and toast.

We bring J-cloths for dishwashing and wiping up. We don't bring paper towels as they take up too much room in the luggage.

We found a collapsable pool floating chair that has a metal frame and fillable air cushions that fits in the bottom of large suitcase... we bought it at Costco but they don't appear to sell it anymore. It's stunning how small/flat it gets!

jkl
    We have stayed at La Cabana for the last seven years. Since they remodeled the rooms have better knives than the old ones so we no longer bring those. If you plan on grilling you might want to bring some long handled tongs. You can rent them from La Cabana but they do not take up much space. We bring out own salt and pepper as well as other spices but we cook on property almost every night. A collapsible cooler and empty water bottles are a must. We snorkel all week so we bring fins and masks.