Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Packing

My biggest issue with wearing long pants is that then you have to wear shoes AND socks. 3weeks of shorts and flips. Yeaaah!

Aruba since 1979
    how about boat shoes with long pants and no socks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmulch View Post
    My biggest issue with wearing long pants is that then you have to wear shoes AND socks. 3weeks of shorts and flips. Yeaaah!

My rule of thumb is pull out everything I think I need to pack then put back at least 1/2 of it and I should be good. I would rather pack light and do laundry once or twice (depending on how long we stay) then have to lug around a huge suitcase filled with a bunch of crap I will never wear. I am not a fashionista like some. I value comfort above all else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmulch View Post
    Nope. Boat shoes and no socks with long pants. Actually, boat shoes and no socks with shorts. Or, sandals and no socks.

Next time you're downtown, take a look at how the Arubans dress.

Aruba since 1979
    (way off topic)..........sitting at the funeral home in 2001 at my dad's wake........i glanced over at my son, age 15 at the time..........blue sport coat, shirt, tie, khaki slacks, topsider shoes , no socks! omg.
    pulled him aside and said WTH?
    his reply was he was comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    (way off topic)..........sitting at the funeral home in 2001 at my dad's wake........i glanced over at my son, age 15 at the time..........blue sport coat, shirt, tie, khaki slacks, topsider shoes , no socks! omg.
    pulled him aside and said WTH?
    his reply was he was comfortable.
    What works in the Caribbean isn't necessarily OK back home.

My rule on packing is take half of the clothes you think you need and twice the cash. If a place requires long slacks they are permanently off the list till they come to their senses. It's Aruba, it's hot, and it's vacation. Besides, long pants take up 2 times as much suitcase space as a pair of shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I don't know of anyplace in Aruba that requires long pants for men. I wear them because I feel more comfortable with a certain level of dress for fine restaurants.
    My husband wears long pants for the same reason you mentioned above (and does not wear socks - just nice slip on boat shoes.)

As far as packing, I have learned alot from my husband over the years (he travels a couple of times a month for work.) His motto: less clothes, more money. As Walt said above - take half the clothes you think you need and take twice as much money (you can always bring the money home if you don't spend it.)
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I don't mind long pants, wear them quite often.. look better..

My issue with shorts, difficult wearing shoes or sandals that look nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12