Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Palm Beach water tempertures

Palm Beach water tempertures

Where would I find this information?

Aruba since 1979
    you could try googling

while we were in aruba aug 11 - 28 eagle beach water was in the range of 84 - 87.
    i know when we have been there in january water temps are about 80 - 81

eagle/palm/druif/arashi beaches water temps will all be similar.

summer mid 80s
    fall and spring low 80s
    winter 80

and this is from my experiences

(and i find it hard to believe that eddy says the average water temp is 89...that is pretty warm)

and from eddy ramou

Water Temperature
    The average water temperature in Aruba is 89 degrees F., with cooler temperatures reported in the early months of the year. The primary reason why the water is sometimes cold on Aruba in March is because of a cold stream that runs beneath the ocean through out the Caribbean in the months of March, April, May, and June. These are also the driest months on the island because clouds do not develop as much on seas where the water surface is cold. This, together with the strong upper level winds, prohibit some cloud formations.
    The secondary reason why the water is cold at certain times in March is because of cold fronts that come of the East Coast of the US and extend all the way down towards the Caribbean, sometimes as far reaching as Aruba. As cold fronts can cause ocean turbulence and strong sea currents, Aruba sometimes experiences seaweed on shore, reduced water visibility, and jellyfish early in the year. The cold water and seaweed is not only to be encountered on Aruba, however. Many islands in the Caribbean are also facing similar problems with seaweed and cooler ocean temperatures during these months.

In contrast to this are the months of July towards December where the ocean streams of the Caribbean become warmer and the upper level winds are favourable for cloud formation. Consequently, these are the months for formation of hurricanes in the Caribbean or in the Atlantic Ocean, and also the Caribbean's rainy season starts kicking up.
    (info from Eddy Ramou,
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 08-31-2011 at 11:38 AM.

I did google- found nothing I could use.

A friend just got back and said the water felt really cold.

We leave next week and if the water was cold (i dont know what I would do.

Does Aruba ever have cold water???

Guess it depends on where you are from and what YOU consider cold

for me-- thats perfect-- not at all cold

reading that site says 7 foot waves???
    Last edited by serene56; 08-31-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Dh's dive computer registered water temperature of 82 F. in June. Average water temperature in June is 81 F.

Average water temperature in September is 83 F.

Overall average water temperature is 81 F.
    http://www.meteo.an/include/wwwpdocs/CLIM_SUM_Cur.pdf

Sea Surface Temperatures 8/30/11
    http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/SST/ATL/20.jpg

Sea Surface Temperature Forecast

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/atl_anal.gif

For easy temperature conversion from C. to F. go to
    http://www.google.com
    Type in your temperature, ex. 28.5 c to f
    and you will see the conversion as the first result.

I respectfully disagree with eddy's analysis of water temperatures.

Scientific fact-

http://www.meteo.an/include/Pub/documents/curacao.pdf
    page 2
    "2 Climatology
    The leeward islands of the Dutch Antilles (Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire) have a semi-arid climate (yearly precipitation is about 550mm [21.65 inches] per year). This is due to an extension of the Azores high and locally it is also connected with an upwelling zone with colder sea surface temperature (SST) along the east-west Venezuelan coast caused by the easterly trade winds (Lahey, 1958; Trewartha, 1981). The influence of the mainland 60km away is large: during the rain season most precipitation is late at night and in the early morning, opposite to the usual tropical pattern, which exists on the mainland. This is caused by the sea-continent breeze."

Above is the explanation as to why Aruba's waters are not as "hot" as say the Gulf of Mexico during the summer. Plain and simple, ocean currents bring cold water south through the Atlantic ocean where the current collides with the South American continent.

Also keep in mind that the water will always seem colder to you in that the air is so hot (and the sun is shining down on you) and there is a fairly wide difference between air and water temperature.

Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-31-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
    for me-- thats perfect-- not at all cold

reading that site says 7 foot waves???
    Must be off shore waves.

http://www.meteo.an/Forecast_ABC_Mar.asp

SEAS:MODERATE WITH WAVES OF 3 TO 6 FEET .

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Thumbs up

>>> "A friend just got back and said the water felt really cold."
    ----- Guess he's right. Might be because the air temperature is much higher than the water temperature so it feels cold at first. Have been going in that water for over 25 trips so you just go in and submerg in the water up to your head and it really feels good. After a few seconds my body says ah this really feels great and its not cold anymore until the next dip that day.

[QUOTE=serene56;210635] A friend just got back and said the water felt really cold.

I guess that friend has never gone to the beaches in Mass. or Maine in the early summer. I have never decribed the water in Aruba to be "cold"-just refreshing. In fact, sometimes we complain that it is too warm like a bathtub.

Aruba since 1979
    ya no kidding!!
    a good day on w dennis beach the water might go as warm as 75. and that would be GREAT. a good day at york or oob, ...maybe 68.
    [QUOTE=jeffnev;]
    Quote Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
    A friend just got back and said the water felt really cold.

I guess that friend has never gone to the beaches in Mass. or Maine in the early summer. I have never decribed the water in Aruba to be "cold"-just refreshing. In fact, sometimes we complain that it is too warm like a bathtub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast