Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Parking "Booting"

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean

Aruparking - New, Stricter Rules! Please be aware!

It seems, recently more and more people are getting "the boot".

I checked out Aruparking's website (in English) and discovered that they imposed a new, stricter rule: There is NO grace period of 15 minutes an more! You are at risk getting "the boot" as soon as your parking time has expired! Please be aware.

Here it the info of Aruparking website:

FAQ

What are the hours of parking meter enforcement?
    Parking meters are enforced Monday to Saturday, from 7:00AM till 7:00PM unless otherwise posted.

What are the parking rates?
    The first 1 hour and 30 minutes are 2,00 AWG. Each 30 minutes after that is 1,00AWG.

When parking time expires. Do I have “extra time” to add additional parking time?
    No. Additional parking time has to be added before your time expires.
    (There was a 15 minute window at the beginning, but this was adjusted when rates where lowered)

What should I do if the meter I parked at is broken?
    The best thing to do is to move to another meter and report the broken meter to the Aruparking office at 5202323. Be sure to note the parking meter before you call. The parking meter number can be found on either side of the machine.

What can I use to pay for the parking meter?
    Local coins, Us coins & Aruparking smartcard.

Does the parking meter provide change?
    No.

Where can I get change to use at the parking meter?
    At the Aruparking office or at Sol Creations right next to The Paddock.

What is a Parking Smartcard?
    A Parking Smartcard is a prepaid parkingmeter card which is encoded with a computer chip that enables the public to purchase a predetermined amount of parking for use at the meters.

What do I do if my Parking Smartcard does not work?
    Visit the Aruparking office at Wilhelminastraat 13.

Do people with disabilities have to pay meters?
    Yes. Regular rates apply.

When will a boot be applied to my vehicle?

• Parking time expired
    • Parked in no parking area/space
    • Parked in handicap space
    • Parked in reserved or assigned space (Yellow Lines)
    • Blocking driveway or access
    • Blocking other vehicle
    • Parked in 2 spaces
    • Parked in incorrect Parking zone & area (Permit Holders)
    • Permit not paid for the month (Permit Holders)
    • Permit sticker is not visible (Permit Holders)

What do I do if my car is towed ?
    Call Aruparking office at 5202323. Payments must be made in person at the office at Wilhelminastraat 13. (Office hours: 7:00AM – 7:00PM)

Who can I contact if I have questions?
    Contact Aruparking at www.aruparking.com or 5022323 (Representatives are available from 7:00AM – 7:00PM)

http://aruparking.com/faq/

We were there in December and there was so many empty parking places in the lot down town. Usually you could never even get a spot. The question I have is....what do the local shops have to say about this?

Aruba since 1979
    the local shop proprietors are very UNHAPPY.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoki View Post
    We were there in December and there was so many empty parking places in the lot down town. Usually you could never even get a spot. The question I have is....what do the local shops have to say about this?

You can't sell to people that arnt there

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    It seems, recently more and more people are getting "the boot".

I checked out Aruparking's website (in English) and discovered that they imposed a new, stricter rule: There is NO grace period of 15 minutes an more! You are at risk getting "the boot" as soon as your parking time has expired! Please be aware.
    That is sick; someone needs to lose their job. I hope that the Aruban people take action and rise up against this disgrace.

We tourists and have little say other than to boycott the parking lots and make an economic statement. Arubans can cast votes and remove the perpetrators from office.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I would only go downtown after 7 o'clock the night before I come home to print my boarding pass. Truthfully, I'm not thrilled with the shops downtown anyway. There are a couple of stores I like that have their own parking, no paying. I go there or the Caribbean Queen. As far as restaurants, go after 7 if there is one you want to go to. But the shops in the downtown area aren't good enough for me to risk getting a boot on my rental car.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    The parking situation is still a hot topic in Aruba as many people are unhappy. I think it's very possible that more changes will be made, good or bad. JMO.

I love going downtown when in Aruba. I would still go. What I would do: as paid parking is from 7 a.m to 7 p.m. and parking is really not expensive, I would just put enough money in the parking meter to be covered for the entire time, till 7 p.m. (I go afternoons usually). I would probably buy the Aruparking Smart Card which is very similar to those prepaid phone cards here in the US. They can be "charged" again. This way, I would not have to worry about carrying coins.

Just a thought.

We have never rented a car while in Aruba so for us it's a nonissue. I feel bad for the local people who have to deal with this daily. I would imagine that shopkeepers and restaurants are pretty unhappy. That said, if we ever did rent a car and it got booted it would disturb me to the point I probably wouldn't return to Aruba. That's what I don't understand about the policy. What goals are they trying to achieve? It would seem all the negativity around the parking issue could do nothing but hurt the Dowtown economy, as well as the rental car agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    That is sick; someone needs to lose their job. I hope that the Aruban people take action and rise up against this disgrace.

We tourists and have little say other than to boycott the parking lots and make an economic statement. Arubans can cast votes and remove the perpetrators from office.
    t

Wow, you are all so militant! Why all this fuss with the new parking regulations? I am sure you have to pay for parking in the US as in Europe. Only because you have not paid in the past, it does not mean that it will be so forever. Once we did not have to pay for garbage bins collection by Serlimar and now we do, I am sure every year there are new charges or increases also in the US that you previously did not have, it is a fact of life.

I do not mind pay for parking, actual it is great as I can go into town when I want, sure to find car parking and get all my business done quickly. Before I had to go in way ahead of time to get parking and even then sometime I had to park a long distance from where I wanted to go. So as a resident of this island I am very happy with this new arrangement.

There are a few options open:
    - Accept it,
    - do not accept it and do not go to town and all areas that are going to have pay parking,
    - choose an alternative holiday destination that does not have pay parking,

But please give it a rest!! You only come here for a couple of weeks per year, and you feel the need to tell us residents how to act.... Remember that sometimes shop owners, restaurant staff etc only tell you what you want to hear....

Awaiting now for the barrage!

Aruba since 1979
    re: awaiting the barrage.......hope it will be civil and respectful.

i see your point.
    we, as non residents really have no say in the policies of aruba, but do have the right to state opinions.
    however, many residents do not share the same opinions as you.

and i agree.....i also want "to give it a rest"

thanks for your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ITIE View Post
    t

Wow, you are all so militant! Why all this fuss with the new parking regulations? I am sure you have to pay for parking in the US as in Europe. Only because you have not paid in the past, it does not mean that it will be so forever. Once we did not have to pay for garbage bins collection by Serlimar and now we do, I am sure every year there are new charges or increases also in the US that you previously did not have, it is a fact of life.

I do not mind pay for parking, actual it is great as I can go into town when I want, sure to find car parking and get all my business done quickly. Before I had to go in way ahead of time to get parking and even then sometime I had to park a long distance from where I wanted to go. So as a resident of this island I am very happy with this new arrangement.

There are a few options open:
    - Accept it,
    - do not accept it and do not go to town and all areas that are going to have pay parking,
    - choose an alternative holiday destination that does not have pay parking,

But please give it a rest!! You only come here for a couple of weeks per year, and you feel the need to tell us residents how to act.... Remember that sometimes shop owners, restaurant staff etc only tell you what you want to hear....

Awaiting now for the barrage!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast