Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Parking meters

We don't carry Aruban currency/coins so I like the idea of a few 1 Florin coins in the glove compartment. Unless you're lucky enough to be visiting a shop that will plug the meter for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Aruparking is changing their rules and regulations often. In the beginning, they accepted US coins, however, NOT anymore.

I just saw an article in Noticia.com with a clear picture of a parking meter with the following info:

Accepts:
    Aruban Currency 0.5 - 0.10 - 0.25 - 1.00 & 5.00 Coins only
    and contactless Aruparking Card

Rate:
    Aruban Currency 2.00 per hour
    Minimum Purchase 2.00

Some more info at link:
    http://static.noticiacla.com/img_1464908417_766.jpg

Picture copies from this link:
    http://www.noticiacla.com/news/6150

That's the same info on the meter that we used recently within the last few weeks - and we were still able to use U.S. coins even though it doesn't say it's accepted on the meter.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 06-06-2016 at 03:27 PM.
    ~Amy~
    "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts." - - Marcus Aurelius

Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017
    34th trip to Aruba: May 2017
    Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017
    35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    We don't carry Aruban currency/coins so I like the idea of a few 1 Florin coins in the glove compartment. Unless you're lucky enough to be visiting a shop that will plug the meter for you.
    Why not pay it forward aND leave a few florin in the glove compartment when you turn the car in, maybe even with a nOTE so others will do the same. Forum members will know to check there
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

Drove though town today ...well !! wheel clamps on cars parked by the market stalls ..so someone is doing there Job.
    So take the change ..for parking ..
    http://www.homeaway.com/4118789
    Please visit our Homeaway site.
    Our lovely Aruba home is available for rent.

Yes, you could use quarters. But Aruba has as well 1 Florin and 2 1/2 Florin coins (even 5 Florin coins). I would suggest to get rather 1 Florin coins. Goes easier with their rates, IMO.

What are the parking rates?

The first 1 hour and 30 minutes are 2,00 AWG. Each 30 minutes after that is 1,00AWG.
    I haven't seen a 2 1/2 florin coin, I believe they were removed from circulation years ago.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I haven't seen a 2 1/2 florin coin, I believe they were removed from circulation years ago.
    It does not matter as Aruparking only accepts the following coins:

Aruparking is changing their rules and regulations often. In the beginning, they accepted US coins, however, NOT anymore.

I just saw an article in Noticia.com with a clear picture of a parking meter with the following info:

Accepts:
    Aruban Currency 0.5 - 0.10 - 0.25 - 1.00 & 5.00 Coins only
    and contactless Aruparking Card

Rate:
    Aruban Currency 2.00 per hour
    Minimum Purchase 2.00

Some more info at link:
    http://static.noticiacla.com/img_1464908417_766.jpg

Picture copies from this link:
    http://www.noticiacla.com/news/6150

The meters are still taking U.S. quarters as of a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure the sign on the meters has always been the same. Even though it doesn't say anything about U.S. coins it does accept them.

Photo of meter at link below from Oct. 2015:

Parking..payments, boots etc.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 06-07-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    ~Amy~
    "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts." - - Marcus Aurelius

Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017
    34th trip to Aruba: May 2017
    Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017
    35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    The meters are still taking U.S. quarters as of a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure the sign on the meters has always been the same. Even though it doesn't say anything about U.S. coins it does accept them.

Photo of meter at link below from Oct. 2015:

Parking..payments, boots etc.
    On the parking meters they state that they accept Aruban Currency only. On the Aruparking FAQ they state that they accept local and US coins.

Yesterday morning, Gaby posted the following:

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    when i was there in december I tried to put US coins in but it wouldn't take it. I hope they fixed that. of course I couldn't get the machine to do anything but a young local woman saw my troubles, came over & did it for me with aruban coins. lol...

Bradybear, that's what I did. I had a little change purse and kept coins in there. I had the dollar florins in there. Of course when they robbed us, they went in the car and that's the only money they got, 4 one dollar florins, lol. serves them right. but that's what I intend to do this time, too. Its very convenient to bring a cheap little change purse, throw your excess florins in there. this way if you decide last minute to run downtown or even elsewhere because the road from high rise to downtown that has those stores on the street there, they use paid parking too. just keep them in glove compartment and you won't worry about running out. And if you're not sure of how long you'll be, throw in extra. its not like you are going to use those florin at home so who cares.

Aruba since 1979
    they "are still" accepting US coins as of saturday june 4.
    a friend in aruba, paid parking downtown and used US coins

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Thanks for the challenge, Walt. I LOVE Aruban Currency as I have met the artist who had designed the banknotes. I was also surprised and delighted that the Aruban coins were very similar to what I was used to German coins (before the Euro took over).

I just checked the website of Central Bank of Aruba and I'm very happy to let you know that there still IS a 2 1/2 Florin coin!

Here is the latest issued coin set "2012 Fishing in Aruba":

http://www.catawiki.com/catalog/coin...shing-in-aruba

Almost each year a new set of coins came out. I absolutely LOVE the themes they chose. Here is the link:

http://www.cbaruba.org/cba/getPage.d...INS_BANK_NOTES

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast