Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Parking meters

Hey, I never said I wouldn't go downtown because of COINS - a few bucks in change for parking would never deter us. We always arrived prepared with change (both kinds) every time we went downtown. I am NOT complaining one iota. We travel to a lot of different destinations/countries and we always adapt as we need to as far as customs, conveniences, etc.

Perhaps, in my last post I was just doing some wishful "thinking out loud" - I was NOT complaining about having quarters, Florins....we were more than happy to plug the old parking kiosk and spend some money downtown at the shops and restaurants.
    ~Amy~®
    "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts." - - Marcus Aurelius

Barcelona, Mallorca, Andorra: Nov. 2016
    Seattle: Dec. 2016
    Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017
    34th trip to Aruba: May 2017
    Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I don't think I said 17. I said 6 or 7 one dollar florin.

You did say 6 or 7. Retagger was just saying the correct amount should be 17 florins. 1.7 florins per dollar. 1.7x10= 17

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    I don't think I said 17. I said 6 or 7 one dollar florin.

I have read all the posts, day after day, the only thing I wanted to correct was the math error but I let retagger do it first, lol. I am putting myself back on "mute" over the parking meters.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    I wish they had the parking app - we use the app here at home and in other U.S. cities and it's great (no need to have cash/coins or a credit card with you.)
    According to this Amigoe article, there should be an app.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Paid parking soon via app

Thursday, June 2, 2016 14:10

Arubus director Teo Croes (m.) At the press conference

ORANJESTAD - At the end of this month it's possible to pay via an app while parking in downtown. Aruparking reported this yesterday at a press conference.

By our reporter

Leanne van Spronsen

So far it is only possible to pay with cash or a smart card of Aruparking, where in each case a credit can be put on. The app offers the option to pay via Paypal for parking.

Social parking

Aruparking also announced that starting July 1, the so-called "social parking", where Amigoe wrote yesterday. The amount to be paid by employees in the city for a parking permit, is now dependent on their monthly income. On the question of Amigoe how this will be achieved, replied policy Carolina Rojas-Laclé that employees can report to the office of Aruparking if they want to qualify for the discount. There, they must complete a form and the employer must do this. On that basis Aruparking whether this person now provides 25, 35, 45 or 60 florins per month pay.

2500 daily transactions

Additionally, the company revealed during the press conference charts on monthly transactions that come with them for paid parking. According to Aruparking it is about 60,000 transactions per month, or 2500 per day. It is about people who park in the ordinary white boxes. These figures according to Aruparking show that there really are many people come to the city and the fact that more and more shops close their doors, is not a consequence of the introduction of paid parking.

Highrise

When asked Rojas-Laclé announced that the Parliament has still not taken a decision on the introduction of paid parking on the High Rise. There are parking spaces have been painted and equipped with numbers. Initially this would be postponed until the first quarter of 2016, but the date is still uncertain.

Father's Day

Finally Aruparking announced a discount offer for the Saturday before Father's Day (June 18). Parking in the city normally takes two florins for the first 90 minutes, but this is one time reduced to 2 florins for 3 hours parking.

http://amigoe.com/aruba/228983-betaa...enkort-via-app

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    I have read all the posts, day after day, the only thing I wanted to correct was the math error but I let retagger do it first, lol. I am putting myself back on "mute" over the parking meters.
    Me too. I wish some others would go on mute or just let it go...
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Thanks for the challenge, Walt. I LOVE Aruban Currency as I have met the artist who had designed the banknotes. I was also surprised and delighted that the Aruban coins were very similar to what I was used to German coins (before the Euro took over).

I just checked the website of Central Bank of Aruba and I'm very happy to let you know that there still IS a 2 1/2 Florin coin!

Here is the latest issued coin set "2012 Fishing in Aruba":

http://www.catawiki.com/catalog/coin...shing-in-aruba

Almost each year a new set of coins came out. I absolutely LOVE the themes they chose. Here is the link:

http://www.cbaruba.org/cba/getPage.d...INS_BANK_NOTES
    It wasn't a challenge, I said I'd never seen one before. Maybe since I only go to Aruba once a year, I just haven't run across one.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I know you guys are saying its about convenience and what you have with you at the time, but really I want to put my 2 cents in. Arubans go out of their way to make us feel welcome. US dollars and credit cards are accepted pretty much everywhere, making it so easy for us. This is just my opinion, but I have to say I keep thinking what's the big deal having a few florin around when you know you want to go downtown? I never have quarters with me, but there is one town near me that I know I need them for. I don't complain about it, I just get change before I go there. It's cheaper for that town to maintain that style meters.
    The app does sound good, but there are processing and credit card fees involved with that, taking revenue away from the parking collections.
    Its really easy, if you want to go downtown either be prepared with a few florin or take a taxi or the bus, or don't go. #deadhorsebeaten
    Let me say this one more time. No one here is complaining about having to pay for parking. No one is complaining about the amount. The only concern is the consequences of over parking or having your meter run out. Getting booted or having your car towed for returning 15 or 20 minutes late is extreme. This is not tourist friendly nor necessary. I firmly believe no one would care if they added a parking tax on rental cars. This would have given them much more revenue with much less cost than what they have done. No one cares about a couple bucks to park but having to spend most of a day paying fines and getting your car back is a turn-off.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    Let me say this one more time. No one here is complaining about having to pay for parking. No one is complaining about the amount. The only concern is the consequences of over parking or having your meter run out. Getting booted or having your car towed for returning 15 or 20 minutes late is extreme. This is not tourist friendly nor necessary. I firmly believe no one would care if they added a parking tax on rental cars. This would have given them much more revenue with much less cost than what they have done. No one cares about a couple bucks to park but having to spend most of a day paying fines and getting your car back is a turn-off.
    I guess it depends on where you live and what is normal to you. When we lived closer to DC in Arlington, VA, if you were over your parking time there are tow trucks circling and hooking up and towing you away. We had to pay to park at certain grocery stores. It just becomes a way of life and even in an area with lots of visitors. It's not a friendly way of doing things and there are always news stories on unfair towing practices. It's just a way of life for us, so I see it for what it is, a revenue source that is strictly enforced. And no one likes it, but it is what it is.

My point was to say knowledge is power. We all know the options and what is necessary to avoid the boot - so we are the lukcy ones, we all found this forum. Its a hassle, its an inconvenience, but it can also be avoided so that none of us should end up in an unfortunate predicament. Take extra florins, be prepared. Add extra time than you think you will actually need, or take a bus or taxi if you aren't sure how much time you need. Lots of options, anyone who has read the daily posts on this topic has the knowledge to avoid it and the power to share the information with others who may not be in the know.

Sorry if I offended anyone, its just people keep saying the same thing over and over. Even me at this point.
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

I may be repeating myself too, but parking tickets & towing is just a part of life here. My company does quite a bit of work in NYC. There are some jobs that we price out with the cost of a parking ticket or two because we know that it will happen. We hope that the tow doesn't happen of course, but wishes don't always come true! It's just a part of doing work in the city. Down the shore is the same way. If you get distracted on the beach or the boards you head back to your car looking for the ticket on the windshield.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast