Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Passports and entry requirements for Aruba

Ok if anyone knows more than I do about this please correct me. I will be traveling to aruba September 30. I have a friend that would like to come but does not have a passport yet. I have read the recent release that the U.S department of travel has released. Here is what is says: (And I will highlight the important areas, so you dont have to read through it all)

The U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security announced Friday, June 8, that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region, who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air. This accommodation will expire at the end of September, and beginning October 1, 2007, all U.S. Citizens traveling outside the United States will be required to present a valid passport to enter and depart from the United States. This accommodation does not mean that Americans are exempt from meeting the entry requirements of Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region, some of which require a passport, certified birth certificate, or other evidence of citizenship for entry.

U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air by presentation of a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand. U.S. Citizens who departed the U.S. under this travel accommodation prior to October 1, 2007 with Department of State official proof of application and government-issued identification will be readmitted with these same documents if returning to the United States after September 30.

Ok, so basically it says that if you apply for a passport and have a certain document to show that, and you travel on Sept 30 or before, than you don't need a passport to get back into the united states, and you can leave the country. So from what I understand this comes down to the entry requirements for Aruba. So basically does anyone know if previous to all these new passport laws, or basically still you can enter aruba as a us citizen with the proper documents explained above, and a government issued photo ID, and birth certificate?

Correct me if I am wrong anywhere along my thinking, as I am looking for the right outlook on this whole thing. Thanks in advance!

Are you a U.S. Citizen traveling to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region by air who HAS APPLIED for a passport but has not received it yet?
    Are you a U.S. Citizen traveling to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region by air and you have NOT APPLIED for a passport yet, or, you HAVE NOT APPLIED TO RENEW an expired passport yet?
    • If so, access the Passport Page to apply for a new passport or to renew an old passport
    • Once your application is in process with the U.S. Department of State (which could take up to 7 to 10 days to track online), you should:
    • Go to Checking the Status of Your Application and follow the instructions to print out your passport status page. Keep this status page with you during your entire trip for both exit from the U.S. and re-entry to the U.S.
    • Next, find out what the entry requirements are for the country you are visiting. In some cases, you may need to contact the Embassy of the country you are visiting.
    • Be sure to present the documentation required by the country you are visiting along with your printed passport status page to the airline personnel upon departure and re-entry to the U.S.
    http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c...23.html#affect

CYN
    If you travel after Sept 30 you will need a passport.
    and beginning October 1, 2007, all U.S. Citizens traveling outside the United States will be required to present a valid passport to enter and depart from the United States.

Passport or proof that one was applied for (till 9/30/07) is needed to reenter the United States.

Yes it is

I also know for sure that you actually need a passport.
    Prontohotel - hotel reservations
    Andreea Vaas
    "A traveler without observation is a bird without wings"

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Thumbs up

Some airlines will not even let you on a plane without a Passport if going down that way. Can't even get to Aruba on some airlines without that Passport.

The 1st time i had a problem with my passport because it was in a bad shape, and the person from OTP (the romanian airport) told me that this might be an issue at the destination, fortunatelly it wasn't. However it's better to take this into consideration
    Prontohotel - hotel reservations
    Andreea Vaas
    "A traveler without observation is a bird without wings"

I think the confusion is that it is 2008, and the change took place in Oct 2007. They need a passport. I recently got one for my DD (LOL- darling daughter for those taking note!) and it took less than 2 weeks to get it back. I was surprised it was so quick

Yes, it was an "old" post. New and current info:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
    "ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States."

Applying for a Passport

"Entry/Exit Requirements : All Americans traveling by air outside the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States. This requirement will be extended to sea travel (except closed loop cruises), including ferry service, by the summer of 2009. Until then, U.S. citizens traveling by sea must have government-issued photo identification and a document showing their U.S. citizenship (for example, a birth certificate or certificate of nationalization), or other WHTI compliant document such as a passport card for entry or re-entry to the U.S. Sea travelers should also check with their cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements.

Applications for the new U.S. Passport Card are now being accepted. Based on current projections, we expect the passport card to be in full production beginning in July 2008. The card may not be used to travel by air and is available only to U.S. citizens. Further information on the Passport Card is available at http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html and upcoming changes to U.S. passport policy can be found on the Bureau of Consular Affairs web site at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html. We strongly encourage all American citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport well in advance of anticipated travel. American citizens can visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports.

In addition visitors to Aruba may be asked to show onward/return tickets, proof of sufficient funds and proof of lodging accommodations for their stay. Length of stay for U.S. citizens is granted for thirty days and may be extended to 180 days by the office of immigration. For further information, travelers may contact the Royal Netherlands Embassy, 4200 Linnean Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008, telephone (202) 244-5300, or the Dutch Consulate in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Houston or Miami. Visit the web site for the Embassy of the Netherlands at http://www.netherlands-embassy.org and the Aruban Department of Immigration at http://www.aruba.com/about/entryrequirements.php for the most current visa information.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our web site. For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information sheet."