Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Pedestrian Killed by Vehicle on Smith Blvd (near SuperFood)

Aruba since 1979

Pedestrian Killed by Vehicle on Smith Blvd (near SuperFood)

A pedestrian tourist (woman) was hit and killed by a car one day last week while crossing
    Smith/Sasaki Blvd across from the Tropicana and SuperFood.

I cannot stress the importance of NOT crossing this busy intersection on foot.

Many folks at Amsterdam Manor, LaCabana and the Trop regularly walk to and from the Superfood store.

Please folks if you do insist on walking, please be aware that numerous pedestrians have been hit.

IMO, it is certainly worth the few $ to take a cab. (again just my opinion about the cab)

Use. The. Crosswalk!!! That is a highway people are crossing - I'm stunned how many times we've whipped by there at 80-90 km/h and people are running across to the median and the crosswalk is literally a few yards away. With groceries!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    A pedestrian tourist (woman) was hit and killed by a car one day last week while crossing
    Smith/Sasaki Blvd across from the Tropicana and SuperFood.

I cannot stress the importance of NOT crossing this busy intersection on foot.

Many folks at Amsterdam Manor, LaCabana and the Trop regularly walk to and from the Superfood store.

Please folks if you do insist on walking, please be aware that numerous pedestrians have been hit.

IMO, it is certainly worth the few $ to take a cab. (again just my opinion about the cab)

We were returning back to the Tropicana that night and saw the police and ambulance. We both said that we hoped no one got hit by a car. Sorry to hear that we were wrong. I must say that there is a lot of disrespectful drivers on the island, including the V, A, and especially the Tx plates. They are all in a hurry to get to the next speed bump, round about or bottle-neck. We're on an island for heavens sake, how much time can you make up going from place A to B. We were coming back from Baby Beach the other day cautiously watching out for donkeys and sure enough a V plate goes flying passed us, only having to slam on the brakes a short distance ahead for another car that had stopped to allow the donkeys to cross.
    The Super Foods intersection is a busy place. If you venture to walk there be extra careful or better yet, take a cab.
    TRIP 15 Nov-Dec 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

May she rest in peace. I do not like seeing people walking across the highway there.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

This is so sad....my heart goes out to her family.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    people do that here all the time, run across not at a crosswalk and not with the light. and even then, you have to watch. that area there by superfoods is like trying to cross the Garden State Parkway (jacki knows what i'm saying).

Reading about this unfortunate accident reminded me of how lucky I was when I had my accident in the same vicinity of the SuperFoods while walking back to La Cabana back on 13th September 2014. I had just made my way across the zebra crossing and was already on the island before the next two crossing points when I was hit by a car that broke a red light, it collided with another vehicle before bouncing off that vehicle before running into me. I got knocked a good couple of feet, landing somewhere just before the clump of trees. I wound up with some scratches, on my left arm, left hand and left leg, bruises, a sprained ankle and as one of the surprised police officers pointed out to me a broken windshield wiper stuck in the back of my t-shirt. After all the exams and scans at the hospital they found no fractures, breaks or internal injuries, the worse that I got was a sprained ankle and had a limp that lasted till December of that year. According to the doctor at the hospital, one of the officers on the scene, the ambulance driver, security officers and many members of staff at La Cabana, I was lucky as that particular area is notorious for pedestrians get knocked down, the majority of them being fatal.

I remember telling Charles and Stanley (two of the security officers at LCBRC) that there needs to be a walkover between the hotels and the Superfoods to insure the safe passage of pedestrians from the hotels to the grocery store and back. Charles told me that for the longest time the owners of both hotels had put in the suggestion and request for the construction of a walkover, that they had been doing so for a number of years. If further fatalities are going to be prevented a walkover is the best option. Also there needs to be an enforcement of the speed limit on the island, on my last visit I saw some vehicles that were going way too fast on the highway.
    Failing that the best option to get to and from the Superfoods apart from proceeding with extreme caution is via-taxi. At least you know you will get there and back safe and sound.

Aruba since 1979
    i remember your accident well vallond!

terrible

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    Reading about this unfortunate accident reminded me of how lucky I was when I had my accident in the same vicinity of the SuperFoods while walking back to La Cabana back on 13th September 2014. I had just made my way across the zebra crossing and was already on the island before the next two crossing points when I was hit by a car that broke a red light, it collided with another vehicle before bouncing off that vehicle before running into me. I got knocked a good couple of feet, landing somewhere just before the clump of trees. I wound up with some scratches, on my left arm, left hand and left leg, bruises, a sprained ankle and as one of the surprised police officers pointed out to me a broken windshield wiper stuck in the back of my t-shirt. After all the exams and scans at the hospital they found no fractures, breaks or internal injuries, the worse that I got was a sprained ankle and had a limp that lasted till December of that year. According to the doctor at the hospital, one of the officers on the scene, the ambulance driver, security officers and many members of staff at La Cabana, I was lucky as that particular area is notorious for pedestrians get knocked down, the majority of them being fatal.

I remember telling Charles and Stanley (two of the security officers at LCBRC) that there needs to be a walkover between the hotels and the Superfoods to insure the safe passage of pedestrians from the hotels to the grocery store and back. Charles told me that for the longest time the owners of both hotels had put in the suggestion and request for the construction of a walkover, that they had been doing so for a number of years. If further fatalities are going to be prevented a walkover is the best option. Also there needs to be an enforcement of the speed limit on the island, on my last visit I saw some vehicles that were going way too fast on the highway.
    Failing that the best option to get to and from the Superfoods apart from proceeding with extreme caution is via-taxi. At least you know you will get there and back safe and sound.

Yikes. That's incredibly lucky, vallond.

Last November, our friends had their flight home to Toronto cancelled so they ended up staying an additional night with us. Their flight was re-booked for the next morning at 8:00 am so they wanted to leave the house by 5:00 am to ensure they had enough time.

To be honest, I'd never driven that early in the morning in Aruba - the highway is poorly lit, there was ground fog and it's still dark.

As we were approaching the Superfood intersection, some lunatic tried to run across against the light. Luckily, I saw his hideous, day-glo. neon-orange shorts with just enough time to swerve out of the way. But I'm telling you... a millisecond more or minus the hideous shorts and he would have been dead. And I was doing the speed limit! I was surprised one of the taxis going by me didn't take him out - they were doing well over 100 km/h.

I no longer do early morning runs to the airport (ugh... don't even attempt that monster round-a-bout without good lighting!) nor driving at night from Noord to downtown. Too many lunatic drivers on the road and insane pedestrians.

They should put one of those thermometer signs up like they have at the police station across from PBV that denotes the number of people killed by drunk driving.

"Number of people killed at this intersection..."

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post

I no longer do early morning runs to the airport (ugh... don't even attempt that monster round-a-bout without good lighting!) nor driving at night from Noord to downtown. Too many lunatic drivers on the road and insane pedestrians.
    You make a great point as it is the combination of the crazy drivers AND the crazy pedestrians.

The government owns that portion of land. They were doing some sort of work there when I was there in August. I guess it wasn't the beginning of a walk over...
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast