Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Petty theft is on the rise - please be careful

  1. #1
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,683

    Petty theft is on the rise - please be careful

    This was posted on another forum/social media. Just want to give everyone a "heads up" reminder that you should always be cautious with your belongings...no matter where you are:


    Be aware of your surroundings !!!
    I am very sad to write this but after 27 years of great times we went to Saprano's bar on Sunday night 4/12. While listening to the piano player at the bar two men came in a made a distraction as another grabbed my wife's purse. The purse was recovered outside the bar less the 1500.00 in cash she had in it. The purse was given to the manager who drove it down to the Oranjestad police station. When I was told by the manager that it was recovered with all of our credit cards and licenses and it was at the police station, I went directly there. I was met by two k9 officers that stated that they would get the bag for me. After two hours it was explained to me by a lt Johnny henrequs that the bag was missing and to speak to a detective in the morning. After many calls to mr. henrequs ( many unanswered) I met with detective Mitch wikken from the noord police station. It was explained to me that the bag was stolen by the officer that was working the desk when it was turned in. To make a week long story short, in the end nothing was done about it and the telephone calls were never returned. I truly felt like I was in Mexico not Aruba. Please don't let this happen to you. Yes I was very upset with my wife that she had so much cash with her and every card. It is our 30 something time to the island but we arrived Sunday and met some friends getting errands done and then ended up at Sapranos. We really had not even settled in yet. It was a lesson learned.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 04-27-2015 at 04:08 PM.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018




  2. #2
    Senior Member cindyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Posts
    5,699
    What forum was it posted on?

  3. #3
    Member NH Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    77
    Petty theft is on the rise everywhere it seems...

  4. #4
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Cindy it is on one of the Aruba facebook groups that you do belong to. Will PM you the link.

    Otherwise, my only comment is speechless.

  5. #5
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    This was posted on another forum/social media. Just want to give everyone a "heads up" reminder that you should always be cautious with your belongings...no matter where you are:


    Be aware of your surroundings !!!
    I am very sad to write this but after 27 years of great times we went to Saprano's bar on Sunday night 4/12. While listening to the piano player at the bar two men came in a made a distraction as another grabbed my wife's purse. The purse was recovered outside the bar less the 1500.00 in cash she had in it. The purse was given to the manager who drove it down to the Oranjestad police station. When I was told by the manager that it was recovered with all of our credit cards and licenses and it was at the police station, I went directly there. I was met by two k9 officers that stated that they would get the bag for me. After two hours it was explained to me by a lt Johnny henrequs that the bag was missing and to speak to a detective in the morning. After many calls to mr. henrequs ( many unanswered) I met with detective Mitch wikken from the noord police station. It was explained to me that the bag was stolen by the officer that was working the desk when it was turned in. To make a week long story short, in the end nothing was done about it and the telephone calls were never returned. I truly felt like I was in Mexico not Aruba. Please don't let this happen to you. Yes I was very upset with my wife that she had so much cash with her and every card. It is our 30 something time to the island but we arrived Sunday and met some friends getting errands done and then ended up at Sapranos. We really had not even settled in yet. It was a lesson learned.

    Yikes! EXACTLY why people shouldn't carry cash - your only protection is credit cards which can be cancelled and charges reversed to vendors. Ugh. $1500?!?

    And the officer stole the bag?!? WHAT?!?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,491
    It is definitely a shame to hear this, especially the police involvement. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. Thanks for sharing, I think it's important that even though most of us feel very safe in Aruba, these types of things can happen. I am wondering how you determined petty crime is on the rise? Do you have statistics,, other examples or were you just basing that on this social media post? I am only asking in order to be informed.

    We usually get to the island before we can check in to our room, so we often have more cash on us than we want to and we walk around and enjoy the day. Here are some things we have used over the years abroad and at home in the city or unfamiliar surroundings. My husband and I usually split up the cash and each carry at least one credit card. I carry a cheap purse that is carried across the front of my body. It isn't the cutest, but I feel safer having my belongings strapped right to the front of me. We hide money in different pockets of his wallet or my purse, basically spreading it out. I feel like by doing this, if we are ever robbed, we can try to satisfy the the thief by just giving them the visible cash. We may also start relying on atms more during our trip. I'd rather pay fees than worry about losing our cash.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  7. #7
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,683
    I have friends (several) who own homes in Aruba. They've been broken into several times over the last year even with an alarm system and hiring a private security guard. Sorry to say that the police have been useless.

    I've also been traveling to Aruba for 20 years now. In my own opinion after having spent 31 trips to Aruba, yes it's on the rise compared to years past. Each year there are more stories such as these.

    I am only passing on information that I deem to be helpful as a reminder to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you travel.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 04-27-2015 at 06:57 PM.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018




  8. #8
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,491
    I think social media brings these stories to light more often. hopefully if the numbers are on the rise the Aruba police departments will get it under control. I think it is a good topic to get us all thinking about ways to be alert and remind us that this kind of thing can happen
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  9. #9
    Senior Member cindyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Posts
    5,699
    Never showed up on my feed Lisa, first time i sawit was that link. It was however on the Renn private group FB page
    Not sure why you are spechless


    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Cindy it is on one of the Aruba facebook groups that you do belong to. Will PM you the link.

    Otherwise, my only comment is speechless.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Never showed up on my feed Lisa, first time i sawit was that link. It was however on the Renn private group FB page
    Not sure why you are spechless



    Don't know it didn't show up in your feed it is in the Aruba! group. I emailed you a screen capture of the post. Don't know if it was posted by the same person or not. Sorry.

    I was just stunned that a police officer working the desk stole it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO