Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Pharmacy question

Slightly astray from topic: There are a variety of OTC remedies available at the botica’s similar to what could be found OTC in the US, but it’s mostly in Dutch.

Hmm. I don't know if things changed but a few years ago back in 2012, I forgot my blood pressure medication. I took a walk to the pharmacy and was told the Pharmacy could write me a prescription and then they would fill the order. When the Pharmacist arrived he just asked me a few questions about how long I was taking the medication, the dose, how long was I staying on the island etc. He wrote the prescription and then had one of his assistant fill the medication. It was $5 for 10 pills and $3.00 for the prescription. I was taking amlodepine which is a generic of Norvasc but he gave me a 10 day supply of the Norvacs.

Originally I had called the hotel desk and they had a doctor call me who was going to charge me $25 for the prescription but didn't want to make the trip to the hotel on Saturday evening and said he can come on Sunday to call again but I didn't I just walked over to the pharmacy.

Maybe I lucked out!

Aruba since 1979
    I do know that Lisinopril is sold over the counter.
    Valtoren is also OTC.

My friend Brian had to get an inhaler once. At the pharmacy he was given a phone consultation with a Dr. He was then given the prescription inhaler. With the cost of the doctor fee added, he said it was cheaper than he pays in the US for just the script.

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    I walked in to the Botica Central and the pharmacist filled my script from the US for $20 a pill, its $72 a pill in the US, took less than 5 minutes. Manufacture of the pills is Lilly, a US company

Incredible, isn't it?
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I'm not surprised: many European countries (and Aruba's laws are many times similar to the laws of the Netherlands) have caps/regulatins on medications and medical services to keep the health insurance costs functional/reasonable for the people.

Aruba since 1979
    did the pharmacist have to make a call to the local MD?
    or did the pharmacist just have a looksee at your prescription bottle and then filled the script?
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaveTheKidsWithMom View Post
    I walked in to the Botica Central and the pharmacist filled my script from the US for $20 a pill, its $72 a pill in the US, took less than 5 minutes. Manufacture of the pills is Lilly, a US company

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    The script was from my Florida doctor and was even 4 months old, all the pharmacist wanted to see was my ID, I was in and out of there in less than 5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    did the pharmacist have to make a call to the local MD?
    or did the pharmacist just have a looksee at your prescription bottle and then filled the script?

Hmmmm my son is on a daily medication that requires a physical prescription and can only be filled once every 30 days. We always have issues with the Aug script because we are away at refill time and then that screws him up for school in Sept. I've never even thought about trying to fill it in Aruba. Thanks!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast