Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Phone question

As a resident of Aruba I can tell you that the Galaxy as well as many other SAMSUNG products is curerntly dominating the market due to the user friendly aspects.

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Dom
    It sounds to me like you were using the Verizon service with your IPhone, and not a local Aruba service. If you were using Verizon, it was probably very expensive. If you get a SIM card from a local Aruba carrier, it is much less expensive to make calls and use data. In order to do this, you must take out the Verizon SIM, and replace it with a Aruba SIM. Once you do this, you will have to enter the APN for the Aruban carrier in order to use data. The APN for Setar is: Internet.Setar.aw and the user name is: Setarinternet. This information will have to be entered into your network settings once you install the SIM. The Setar booth at the airport will probably do all of this for you if you ask. I do not know how to replace the SIM on the Galaxy S4, but on the IPhone, there is a small hole on the side of the phone. If you unbend a paperclip and stick the straight end into the hole, the SIM tray pops out and you can replace it with a different SIM.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Thanks for the info. yes i am using Verizon Wireless. But i always turn off data roaming, so it doesnt cost me anything, because i only access the internet via wifi at the hotel, which is free. Will i still need to get an APN? And what about text and email? I recall i was not charged for email, and texts last year (with my iphone) were 50 cents outgoing and 5 cents incoming.

Dom
    If you only use wifi, you do not need an APN. The only time you need an APN is if you use the telephone network to access the internet. If you put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on wifi, you should be OK. Of course, if you do this, you can only get Email when you have a wifi signal.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Thanks Dom, and what about text?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12