Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By gaby
  • 1 Post By Pegmeister
  • 2 Post By ohiopeeps

Thread: Phone question

Phone question

Hi all
    We still have pretty dumb phones (just contacted Verizon and our phones wont work in Aruba). Although I don't necessarily mind being out of touch for two weeks, it might make things a little easier on the island with a working phone....plus for emergency situations back home (only for emergencies!!!!!). Anyway, what are our options for a prepaid that will allows us to make and receive calls on Aruba along with back home to/from Ohio? Would anyone happen to know the cost? Have you went this route before? I know 90% of people don't have any problem with this with their smartphones...but Verizon hasn't dragged us into the 21st century yet!
    thanks

Aruba since 1979
    if you do not have a smartphone:
    then I do not know what to say.
    maybe you can find out what kind of a basic phone to rent/buy for those emergency calls

if you do have a smartphone;

yes the phone will work in Aruba.
    ask about the international plan from Verizon.
    you may want to let Verizon drag you into the 21st.

also too if you bring your phone (smart phone like an iPhone or galaxy or android) you can put it on AIRPLANE mode, make sure WIFI is "on" and just use the free wifi that is around the island AND at your rental home (does your rental home have wifi). and make FREE VOIP calls.

OR

you can purchase a SIM card from Setar at the airport (digicel is not as good as setar). and also buy some minutes for call time

using the search feature, type in the word SETAR and read the threads that pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiopeeps View Post
    Hi all
    We still have pretty dumb phones (just contacted Verizon and our phones wont work in Aruba). Although I don't necessarily mind being out of touch for two weeks, it might make things a little easier on the island with a working phone....plus for emergency situations back home (only for emergencies!!!!!). Anyway, what are our options for a prepaid that will allows us to make and receive calls on Aruba along with back home to/from Ohio? Would anyone happen to know the cost? Have you went this route before? I know 90% of people don't have any problem with this with their smartphones...but Verizon hasn't dragged us into the 21st century yet!
    thanks

Andrea, wasn’t there someplace you could rent a phone and they would deliver it to your hotel? I seem to recall someone posting that. The only thing is you would have a different phone number.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Yes, Peg, Aruba Discount Cell is one of the companies. I am sure there are others. We held back getting smartphones but when we finally did, its so so much cheaper to bring away. You can do like Andrea said and use wifi almost everywhere or download an app on the phone or we get a setar sim card for my husband's phone and I take my phone for an emergency but only use it on wifi.

Also, Verizon has that travel plan which hooks up to your service with them. It costs $10 per 24 hour. so if you don't use it all the time, you won't get charged but that $10 covers a 24 hour period and uses your data plan.

Thanks Gaby, that may be a good option for the OP. When we’re in Aruba we just put the iPhone in airplane mode and use WiFi.

Thanks everyone for the info.... I did check, and Setar does offer phones with some minutes included for basically $50 a week. Aruba discount cell also offers a basic phone for $45 which i think is for a week too. There is also a company called Mobal who will sell you a basic phone for $29 and you can use in over 200 countries with free incoming texts...and then charges per minute for calls....different prices for different countries. So theres some info for anyone who might be interested. Im thinking within the next 5 years all these services will probably no longer exist...Im pretty sure basic phones will be phased out and we will all have smartphones and the changing of the sim card will be the solultion for all.

We rent from Trees at Aruba Discount Cell. He delivers to our Resort and picks up when we leave. It is $45 per week we are happy with this service.

About 13 or 14 years ago, we bought a basic cell phone and minutes from Setar. Best thing we ever did. We bring it with us each year and buy some minutes at the airport when we arrive.